Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

A schoolmate at uni (originally from Poland, an excellent engineer and talented artist) would wow us with his technique for creatively modifying pictures in newspapers. Using an eraser, he’d remove the printer’s ink from the pictures in ways that “inserted” things that ended up sabotaging and contextually undermining the pics. The mods were very clever and convincing. Growing up in Poland at a time when it was heavily influenced by the then USSR (he had to learn Russian), he practiced his technique as a kind of rebellious distraction.

9 Likes

Don’t know if the stream will kick in to see the sun hit the burial chamber in Newgrange but it’s the Winter solstice. This is a corner and we are turning it in 2020. Midwinter holidays are here for many of us. Childrem are looking forward to presents. Looks like I won’t get to see my family, but that might help them live. Sure the sunrise stays getting later for another week, but the sunset has also been getting later for a week.

This is an ancient day of hope in the Northern hemisphere. A promise from nature that if you make it through this, things will get much better.

13 Likes

Gentle reminder, in case you want to skip the annual viewing of your usual holiday standby (and even if this is your holiday go-to):

ETA: grammar :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Related good news: they found the original footage for “When Love is Gone” and are going to be adding it back to the movie when it comes out in 4K.

Henson explained that Jeffrey Katzenberg (yes, the Quibi one, who was then in charge of Disney) was the one who had the scene cut. “He’s like, ‘It’s just a little too adult-emotional for little kids to stay connected,’” Henson recalled Katzenberg saying, adding that the film “certainly plays well without the song, but I obviously preferred having the song in. I think it’s good for kids to be pulled into deeply emotional moments, even if they feel slightly awkward about it when they’re in a movie theater.”

Of course Katzenberg had it cut. If there’s one thing Disney has never been reliably good at, it’s trusting kids to be complete people.

12 Likes
21 Likes

More than a few of the items in this news roundup that I missed this year. I love the idea of disused military bases being turned into wildlife refuges, paying for a metro ticket with plastic bottles (recycling), and emotional support dogs in courtrooms for children who testify in child abuse cases.

14 Likes

Funny how these little things from the distant past stick with us through the ages.

11 Likes

Cool beans! Hope this intention has some wheels (heh heh).

14 Likes
19 Likes

This is a long Twitter thread from A. R. Moxon, and the latter portion of it talks about how to take one’s power back, how to withdraw one’s consent / complicity.

There’s a thread unroll-er link in-thread if you want to read it compiled. I’m sorting out the merits and drawbacks of Twitter-scrapers and have decided not to post that.

16 Likes

Thank you for posting that! I missed it, and it’s so good.

7 Likes

I’m gonna put this here, because Paradise Garden being re-opened to the public is good news…

10 Likes

Ok, scientists are learning more about this, and that’s a good thing. 2020 has stressed us out enough…we don’t want to see that get any worse:

11 Likes
12 Likes

The Right are ‘trig-challenged’.

1 Like

I caught bits and pieces of this three part series on the radio, now I’m going throw it on the podcast machine. Because it’s Zappa!

4 Likes
15 Likes
11 Likes
7 Likes

A record 41 female CEOs are soon going to be leading Fortune 500 companies, with Lauren Hobart set to take over Dick’s Sporting Goods in February.

Is that really good news tho?

7 Likes