Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

It’s destroying the government of Finland too…

Iltalehti reports that the budget talks that remained deadlocked on Monday stalled over the principles of how to plough money towards people and companies engaged in peat-burning.

The climate-unfriendly energy source is dear to the hearts of the Centre Party, which wants extra tax breaks for peat burners to prop up the industry as carbon pricing makes it uneconomic.

IL reports that the Left Alliance and the Green League, however, want to spend tens of millions of euros on a transition fund to help peat burners find a new role.

Opposition to that idea remained strong in the Centre Party, which is also determined to reduce the planned budget deficit for 2022 and 2023.

The disputed figure in those future budgets is 550 million euros, according to Helsingin Sanomat, which sounds like a lot. Except when you look at the bar chart the paper has produced, which suggests it is a very marginal sum indeed.

On her departure from the talks on Monday, Prime Minister Sanna Marin (SDP) said that a deal might be reached, and might not be reached. Everyone would have to compromise, Marin said.

The Centre Party’s MPs are scheduled to convene at 8am to discuss the state of the talks, a meeting rescheduled from Monday evening.

10 Likes

Wow. What makes me think that the Centre Party are actually quite right?

Fucking centrists! To keep it upbeat: they are doomed. They are flogging a dead horse. It’s over and you are lying to your voters if you don’t admit it.

6 Likes

A cooperative of seamstresses in the state of Santa Catarina, Brazil, makes ‘hug curtains’ for more than 20 geriatric homes. These so called hug curtains are made of a resistant plastic and can be cleaned after the use. They expect that 600 elderlies could use the contraption to get closer to their oved ones.

“I came here just to see my mom and got the glory of being able to give her a hug. It was very exciting, after a year and a month, to be able to hug my mom again and feel so close to her,” said Ms. Marlise Hering to the G1 news site.

14 Likes

If they walkout of the cabinet Halla-Aho might become the Prime Minister of Finland.

This thing seems to be aimed at their base. There are local elections in few months.

4 Likes

If that’s what they think will hold their base together, they will lose their base. It’s doomed. They need to show some leadership there and go looking for some sweet structural fund money to sweeten the deal. I suspect that they are focused on poll numbers rather than policy solutions. It won’t work.

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this in here because, well, making cars g damn sexy again…

Carry on.

10 Likes

Okay, we have a long way to go, and there should be no celebrations when we still have 6.0 percent unemployment and millions of people who have dropped out of the labor market and given up looking for work altogether. But for the moment, the economy is moving in the right direction, and at a very rapid pace. If this continues for another year or so, we will have some serious cause for celebrating.

10 Likes

I also don’t think that Biden ever promised that things would immediately turn around once he was in office or that it would be an easy road to fix the problems that we’re all facing. But he did say that he’d work towards solutions to these problems and did not say ONLY he could solve them… If someone promises only THEY can solve the problems we all face and that it’ll be easy for them to do so, you know you’ve got a liar and charlatan on your hands.

16 Likes

I´ve read about people remaking old cars and bikes. They are gorgeous! I wish I was a billionaire.

10 Likes

They’re agrarian conservatives, but not economically right-wing.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting in any case.

I hear you. I found a bar of soap that smells like my opa. There are very few things left of his, physically, that I have, and he lived an ocean away. My oma sometimes smelled like 4711.

11 Likes

Ah right. We have a pro turf cutting guy who is surprisingly not awful. It’s a single issue independent who maintains relevance by supporting things with much more appeal though. It would be suicide for a party to make that their line in the sand (due to the aforementioned inevitability of the tide coming in).

2 Likes

this is the happiest thing i’ve seen on twitter since i joined last november:

20 Likes

Happy Cry GIF by memecandy

15 Likes

Seemingly trivial things take on a special character when you manage to associate them with loved ones. Maybe someday it will happen to us. A perfume or a song that we like so much will arouse feelings in others.

Glad to know that you can keep them alive.

7 Likes

Aw, that’s utterly adorable.

10 Likes

Rich people being able to throw oil slick at you if they don’t like you following them is good news?

2 Likes

Some of the menz here sometimes get stiffies for “sexy” old sports cars. Forget about it, Jake, it’s a bbs thing.

6 Likes

I like a pretty car as much as the next menz but it was the “James Bond gadgetry” that threw me.

Yay!

8 Likes