Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Good to see him go. However:

Bennett, who heads the ultra-nationalist Yamina party and describes himself as “more right-wing” than Netanyahu, has said that the creation of a Palestine state would be “suicide” for Israel. He has also called for the annexation of most of the occupied West Bank.

11 Likes

I guess the optimism is only that he’s not (as far as we know) an actual crook so desperate for power at all costs that he will ally himself with far right anti-semites abroad.

5 Likes
13 Likes

Indeed - Bennett is more of a hardliner than Bibi. But he is in a coalition government, including left wing parties and the United Arab List for this first time in Israeli history. We can hope that this will moderate the right wing parties on the critical issue of the relationship between Israel and the Palestinians. Any break in the coalition could bring Likud and Netanyahu back into power, which none of them want.

We’ll have to see how this coalition actually governs, of course. But Bennett only has 2 years before Lapid gets a shot at being PM.

Strange days.

[ETA] And here is the Guardian, reiterating what the Al-Jazeera article was saying…

13 Likes

Reality Winner, who leaked intelligence on Russian election interference, released from prison

23 Likes

Yikes! Might need to modify the meme:

7 Likes

I still give the dogs a partial break. They were conditioned to be savage-on-command and didn’t have a choice.

11 Likes

True, true. Maybe change the middle square to, “you too, but we don’t blame you. Who wanted to be a good boy? Who did?” :frowning:

11 Likes

Just saw this as I was browsing my news feeds.

Godspeed, Ms. Winner. Thank you for being such a patriot.

13 Likes
12 Likes

Also, he’s only the PM because of a very broad coalition of dissimilar parties and interests, whose chief goal was to get rid of Netanyahu for good. He can’t get high-handed or dismiss the opinions of his coalition partners, or the coalition will immediately collapse and there will be a new election, which – however it will go – will almost certainly mean Bennett won’t be the PM any more.

3 Likes
8 Likes

19 Likes

You ain’t kidding:

8 Likes
3 Likes
12 Likes
7 Likes

Also: scored two goals in a hammering of Victor Orban’s prestige fascist project team.

Which is nice.

Drink water.

10 Likes
16 Likes

I love this. Love love love it. But it’s caused some real self-angst for me, because my very first thought was “well, let’s watch the usual suspects line up and poison this by naming concurrent ‘Out Of Work Slaveholders Day’ holidays on the same day” or some crap like that. And I hate that this was my first thought after “yay, about time.”

3 Likes