Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 1)

Excellent metaphor.

12 Likes

Hmmm. That’s pretty cynical. You don’t think that one person’s suggestion, or critique, or revelation, can affect another person’s life course? And that that person can go on to do all sorts of good for others that wouldn’t have happened otherwise?

I do. I’ve seen it happen.

13 Likes

Sorry, you’re right. I’m referring more to physical phenomenon. When it comes to people, one action can cause a cascade of actions driving major change. But I don’t think one action alone can cause meaningful change. It still takes the action of many (though sometimes in response to the action of one) to affect real change.

17 Likes

I think he was referring to the idea that if you went back in time and stepped on a bug, it would fuck up the timeline irreparably.

That idea negates the concept of both fixed events and temporal elasticity.

13 Likes

The butterfly effect is very real and poorly explained then. The reason a butterfly’s flap can cause a hurricane is that weather is chaotic enough that variations in conditions are amplified over time. The point though isn’t that it really changes how the system works; it only applies where hurricanes may or may not happen anyway. Actually changing weather patterns requires sustained intervention like you say.

8 Likes
9 Likes

Racist murderers criticise the lifeboats for saving lives, people respond by sending money.

13 Likes
15 Likes

Hopefully, changes like this will spread. Departments that rely on fines to pad their budgets need to find another source of funding that doesn’t violate people’s rights:

16 Likes
9 Likes
16 Likes

Not just for the military anymore…

13 Likes

If it gets people housed in some dignity, I’m all for it.

13 Likes
16 Likes

Given the years-long public harassment this woman has had to endure about her own gender, this is a pretty brave public statement.

11 Likes

Well, if AU2 can win… AU goes up against Orlando City tonight…

conquer major league soccer GIF by Atlanta United

3 Likes

Drip, drip, drip.

13 Likes
16 Likes
13 Likes
17 Likes