Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Attendance up from 350k to 500k, a conservative Reigning Mayor of Berlin promising an amendment to the German Basic Law to include sexual identity in the protections against discrimination, rainbow flag flying from the Chancellor’s balcony.
The politicos will need to be monitored closely to make sure they make good on their promises, but for today… not bad.

6 Likes

Adam Smith would have harsh things to say about the Chicago School, and he’d see a lot in common between the Silicon Valley clique and the Tobacco Lords.

7 Likes

Swimming Pool Smile GIF by Black People Will Swim

14 Likes
9 Likes

The Soul caps are really nice. We bought one for my white daughter who had long hair and was taking weekly lessons. Worked so much better than the regular caps

11 Likes

I’ve wondered about bike helmets and various hairstyles as well-many of the people I see biking after dark without helmets are people with dreads or long braids.

3 Likes

Man creates a way to turn waste sagassum into bricks, uses them to build homes for the needy.

10 Likes
6 Likes

We are winning’: Are US Jews who oppose Israeli settlements finally getting somewhere?

“There’s a tremendous change going on in the American Jewish community. There are a lot of Jews, especially young people, who are not so quick to automatically and unconditionally support everything that Israel does. People are accepting the fact that it’s OK to be Jewish and criticise Israel.”

A Gallup survey earlier this year found that for the first time more Democrats were sympathetic to the Palestinians than the Israelis by a margin of 11%, a significant shift from a decade ago.

In 2021, a Jewish Electorate Institute poll found that 58% of American Jewish voters support restrictions on US military aid to prevent Israel using it to expand West Bank settlements. One-third agreed that “Israel’s treatment of Palestinians is similar to racism in the United States” and one-quarter said that “Israel is an apartheid state”, numbers that shocked some Jewish community leaders.

13 Likes

Doc didn’t give up and had an idea.
Company was receptive and jumped on it.
FDA gave it a compassionate green light.
And now a kid can see.
:clap:

15 Likes

Best haiku ever.

7 Likes

they shall not pass spanish civil war GIF by Amy Ciavolino

10 Likes
14 Likes

Cross post in workers

14 Likes
13 Likes
13 Likes

Angry About Time GIF by Amazon Prime Video

15 Likes
14 Likes

15 Likes

I was responsible for a doula deciding to not continue training. But wait, hear me out! It was a good thing, really.

She was a massage therapist (and a friend of a friend of mine) who had started the training to be a birth doula, and had gotten to the point where she needed to rack up two birth experiences as part of the requirements. Births where she would witness, but not actually do anything. That’s a harder sell than one might think, as you’re asking to be in the way but useless during a very personal life event that can go sideways in an instant. Well, my friend knew I’d already had a doula at my first birth, and that I had a midwife lined up for the next birth (in a hospital, which is a great combo…you stay 100% midwife, but if SHE says it needs to go medical, then you’re right there already), and I appreciate education and training to the point where I was happy to say “sure, hang out at my labor and delivery”.

Well, the midwife kept telling her that she was seeing the perfect delivery – that it didn’t get any better – and the poor doula-in-training was having a terrible time with the reality (and mess) of it all. She’s like, if that’s as good as it gets, I am not cut out for this. And so she dropped out of the training program.

I am a firm believer that it’s crucial to try before you commit. She might have put in all the time, effort, and money to train for something she was clearly not suited for. By giving her the opportunity to see what she was working toward, she learned that relatively early, and could shift course accordingly.

If you’re going to care for people at extremely vulnerable times in their lives, you’d better be ready for it. You can’t half-ass it.

22 Likes