Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Yep. Totally makes sense, especially for something that is so life and death for so many people.

Hell Yeah Damages GIF

16 Likes

Seen it happen. A neighbor trained and studied, took all his certification boards, and found out the first week he was a paramedic on the job that he absolutely could not deal with it. He’s a computer programmer now, I hear.

I need this printed out on some billboard vinyls because I have a few places in Austin… like right across from City Hall, and across from the Texas Capitol Building at 11th and Congress… where I’d like these hung at eye level. Maybe in fluorescent sanserif lettering on black vinyl.

12 Likes

There was this documentary show “Operation” on :canada: TV in IIRC the early 90’s. The “Open Heart Surgery” episode convinced me that getting a “Dr.” in front of my name would never mean becoming a physician. :face_vomiting:

That said, attending a couple of births wasn’t so bad…

6 Likes

This is my argument against some job training programs. The ones that focus too much on potential earnings, and not enough on aptitude.

Unfortunately, there are folks who finish specialized programs and cannot afford retraining in another field. Sometimes it involves debt that the expected starting salary would help to pay off. So, they do half-ass it, and the people in their care suffer for it.

Having spent a lot of time in hospitals and nursing homes, I’ve seen more than a few folks whose actions made it clear that healthcare was not a good fit for them, but they were doing it anyway. Still, the good, the bad, and the ugly can be found working in every industry and institution. It makes me hope society would change a lot if money was no longer a major motivation in choosing a career:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-with-universal-basic-income

13 Likes
7 Likes

What is Grandparents For Truth?

Grandparents For Truth is a group of grandparents and their allies organized by People For the American Way who are fighting for the next generation’s freedom to learn, and who are resisting authoritarian attacks on the freedom to teach the full truth about our history and culture. In partnership with allies of all ages and communities, we will defeat this generation’s book-banners, censors, and authoritarians.

11 Likes
4 Likes

https://www.palestinechronicle.com/major-victory-for-bds-as-american-anthropological-association-endorsees-boycott-of-israel/

The vote is considered a major victory for the Palestinian Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement. . . .

The vote, which was held via electronic ballot between June 15 and July 14, resulted in a landslide victory in favor of the boycott, with 71% voting yes and 29% no.

The association was founded in 1902 and includes scholars specializing in cultural, biological, linguistic, medical and applied anthropologists.

10 Likes

Tomorrow is the Most Wuthering Heights Day…

I’m not gonna be able to make the one here in ATL, but search for your closest city and see if there is an event close to you!

kate bush dance GIF

13 Likes

There are now 4 states that explicitly make the lies of ‘Crisis Pregnancy Centers’ illegal and something they can be arrested for:

14 Likes

And if there isn’t - make your own by standing outside your house at night in the cold and tap on a window, whispering “let me in”!

9 Likes
10 Likes

That’s not what you do…

7 Likes

6 Likes
12 Likes

The U.S. State Department has selected an Indigenous artist to represent the country at the 2024 Venice Biennale.

Jeffrey Gibson, a member of the Mississippi Band of Choctaw Indians, will be the first such artist to have a solo exhibition in the U.S. Pavilion at the prestigious international arts event.

That’s according to a statement this week from the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, the government body responsible for co-curating the U.S. Pavilion, alongside Oregon’s Portland Art Museum and SITE Santa Fe in New Mexico.

The State Department’s records of the U.S. Pavilion exhibitions date back to when it was built, in 1930.

Although Indigenous artists have shown work more broadly in Venice over the years, the last time Indigenous artists appeared in the U.S. Pavilion at the Biennale was in 1932 — and that was in a group setting, as part of a mostly Eurocentric exhibition devoted to depictions of the American West. …

13 Likes
14 Likes
14 Likes

This charity is helping folks eliminate medical debt, and the report reflects why this is a problem in the US:

17 Likes
10 Likes