Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Here’s the one in Newcastle, NSW, Australia. Lots of kids!

And dogs in Sydney!

10 Likes
10 Likes

A well earned retirement, ladies!

11 Likes

ETA: The declaration by Alison Nixon linked in the article is a good read. Provides great deal of info not in the article.

10 Likes

More than a week after the release of the “Barbie” movie, social media is full of stories of women who say they deeply reconsidered their relationships after seeing the film, which has grossed more than $775 million globally so far.

17 Likes

Rachel Maddow looks at a collection of state Republican Parties that are in dire financial straits and in general disarray, characteristic of the Republican Party broadly under Donald Trump.

“For the price of a new xbox game, you, too, can own your own state party.”

applause.gif_2

tumblr_oef0ap5v3g1r868elo1_400

giphy

14 Likes

Therein, to me, lies the genius of that movie. It stayed focused on an important, coherent set of themes, and communicated its core ideas brilliantly, emotionally, unrelentingly to a broad audience. It was subversively smart and not condescending for a moment. I thought it was a piece of masterful, sophisticated communication.

I’ll give it a pass for not addressing larger issues of consumerism and economic inequality. Those are important, yes, but grumpy themes.

I found Barbie far more intellectually engaging than Oppenheimer, and that’s coming from someone who grew up in an atomic-era research town.

11 Likes

Justice-elect Judge Janet Protasiewicz will be sworn in Tuesday as Wisconsin’s next state Supreme Court justice, a move that will shift the balance of the state’s high court from a majority of conservative justices to liberal.

Several high-profile cases are now expected before the state’s high court, including Wisconsin’s 1849 abortion ban, the state’s legislative maps and election laws and results.

“We truly do have Democracy at issue here,” Justice Rebecca Dallet told WISN 12 News in April, a member of the court’s liberal block. “I expect that the 2024 election will come before the Wisconsin Supreme Court, just like the 2020 election did, and it’s scary to think of just how slim a margin we upheld people’s ballots in 2020.”

18 Likes

Link to story

9 Likes

I’m pretty sure there’s some quothing involved…
:wink:

11 Likes

I enjoyed this article on the positive effects of California’s cheaper phone services for prisoners:

I searched to make sure it hadn’t been posted yet, and @KathyPartdeux put the announcement of the change in Part 1 :blush:

16 Likes

California is covering irrigation canals with solar panels to combat severe droughts while creating cleaner, cheaper energy for the state.

The $20 million smart solar panel project, dubbed Project Nexus, is being built over three sections of Turlock Irrigation District (TID) canals, located about 90 miles southeast of Sacramento. The project is being spearheaded by Solar AquaGrid, which has partnered with Citizen Group and TID.

Project Nexus, which breaks ground this year and is estimated to be completed by 2024, is the first project of its kind in the U.S., and its developers say it could serve as a model for the rest of the country.

The panels will span about 8,500 feet over three sections of the TID canals and are expected to help the state combat drought conditions by reducing water evaporation while also generating cheaper renewable energy.

20 Likes
9 Likes

Ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-changes!

11 Likes
15 Likes

Um, good idea, but India has been doing just that for a couple of years now. Of course California came up with a cooler name for it, so there is that.

4 Likes

Louisville Middle School named for Dr. J Blaine Hudson, who

was a beloved figure at the University of Louisville. A student leader of UofL’s Black Student Union in the late 1960s, he was once arrested for occupying an administration building as part of a call for creating a black studies program. Years later, he went from staff to history instructor to a tenured professor in the Pan African Studies department. Hudson eventually rose to the position of Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences; he served from 2005 through 2012.

A scholar of the Underground Railroad, Hudson had a strong presence and calm demeanor that he brought to many social issues facing the university. A popular teacher and an outspoken advocate for social justice, he served as a mentor to many students and faculty of all races, genders and backgrounds. He also was a powerful voice in Kentucky history and in the local community, where he established programming that to this day ties the university to the African-American community.

Upon his death in 2013, the university sought an appropriate recognition of his contributions to the community. His panel serves as the center point of Charles H. Parrish, Jr. Freedom Park, a fitting tribute to a man who worked painstakingly for the park’s creation and whose legacy looms large over the university and the community.

https://louisville.edu/freedompark/j.-blaine-hudson-an-inspiration

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/education/2023/08/03/jcps-new-hudson-middle-school-opens-in-louisvilles-west-end/70485873007/

14 Likes
14 Likes

Hell of an arm on that girl!

11 Likes

I guess HuffPo reads BB!

11 Likes