Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

I like her process.
Lots of consent.
And Kyra Knox is a Philly local, caring about her own neighborhoods, her friends and neighbors, and her own city.

7 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes
12 Likes

“ Gov. Tim Walz held a press conference Wednesday to announce that 200,000 tax rebate checks of up to $1,300 have been sent out to Minnesotans as part of a budget formulated by a Democratic majority. The checks were not as large as originally proposed because of budgetary compromises that included easing the tax burden on seniors and paying for the recently approved universal free school lunch program for all Minnesota children, regardless of family income.

Walz dismissed criticism from conservatives and when asked about their calls for means testing for free school lunches, he responded, “Isn’t that rich? Our Republican colleagues were concerned this would be a tax cut for the wealthiest—you can’t make some of this up if you tried.” He added that burdening working families with the paperwork and follow-up that a means testing program requires is a needless obstacle in getting food to children. ”The haves and have nots in the lunchroom is not a necessary thing,” Walz said. “Just feed our children.””

So much wasted time and money on all the hurdles - just give people what they need.

12 Likes

joanna lumley rage GIF

10 Likes

Though I do support means testing for some tax deductions. Like say private jets.

10 Likes
12 Likes

Sorry, I think you meant to get this one, by the original songwriter… https://youtu.be/e4ztWNJYFrU

8 Likes

No, I like Guthrie’s version. I meant what I posted. :woman_shrugging: If you prefer the original, that’s cool.

13 Likes

I grew up singing along with this version so it’s my favorite to hear and to sing today still, like it’s part of my heartbeat to sing this song at this point and all the feelings and memories I’ve added to it over the last 30+ years since the first time I heard it just make the song mean more to me each time.

Some songs just get better the more people sing them…

folk music is amazing that way.

11 Likes

7 Likes

Happy Animation GIF by LAIKA Studios

10 Likes

My daughter and I still talk about how scary that book was. Neither one of us has dared to watch the film!

10 Likes

I don’t think it’s as scary, honestly… the book is wonderful, but very scary!!! The film has some scary stuff, but is a bit more twee, I think. It helps having some musical numbers and such like!

10 Likes

This is really helpful, thanks!

I’m thinking maybe I’ll watch it on the small screen, if I can find it (maybe via the library) and that way I can just stop if it’s not working for me. Interestingly, my daughter really likes horror movies, significantly more than I do. So I can report to her once I get a sense of how it is for me.

I See You GIF by CBS

12 Likes

It’s a great film, so I hope you like it. But yeah, I’m sure you can find it at the local library no problem!

9 Likes

I’ve been hesitant to read the book to my daughter or watch the movie because I know the Other Mother will scare the hell out of her (we’ve tested the waters a little and she agrees). She’s got the same hyperactive imagination I’ve got and inevitably gets freaked out by things like that (she’s 9).

12 Likes

The film is a lot lighter than the book, which was surprisingly short.

I didn’t realize it was back in theaters; might have to take in a matinee to help support.

Also, am the only person who love to see the Graveyard Book adapted for the screen?

12 Likes