Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Texas has a notably unsmall amount of coal rollers.

I offered up the most uh yeah deporable case of such, irrespective of year, yes.

7 Likes
6 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes

This one got to me today.
Wow.

8 Likes

Bridge officials are targeting a late 2024 opening for the new international crossing.

When it does, the shitty robber baron Moroun family that owns the Ambassador Bridge, current lifeline of Canada-US trade, can all drop dead.

13 Likes

Am I missing something about that’s a good/encouraging thing?

4 Likes

oscars-standing-ovation

10 Likes

A ridiculous amount of the USA-Canada trade and economy flows through the Ambassador Bridge, which is poorly positioned for traffic, a bottleneck, and an economic disaster single-point-of-failure when it’s blocked.

The Moroun family have been trying to block, cancel or delay a better positioned parallel bridge for decades, using every string they could pull or buy. It’s encouraging that their monopoly will finally be ending.

11 Likes

It never occurred to me that that bridge was privately owned. If I thought about it at all, I thought is was joint governmental property. Who pays for its upkeep? Should I head for Stratford next year I will use the new bridge if possible.

4 Likes

Being a Detroiter, I’ve watched that with great interest. maroun and its family were/are indeed greedy crooks.

12 Likes

I see, thanks for clarifying.

6 Likes

(ETA: MPSC = Michigan Public Services Commission)

…Just last year, between both Consumers Energy and DTE, more than 330,000 customers had four or more sustained outages. Some had more than seven.

“We’ve got 35,000 people across the state of Michigan who essentially every six weeks are having an outage that’s lasting five minutes or more,” MPSC Chair Dan Scripps said. “That’s clearly unacceptable.”

On Wednesday, the commission announced a straw proposal to tie utility company earnings directly to performance, based on the amount and length of outages.

“We’re not where we need to be,” Scripps said. “When we’re sort of bottom of the league tables in both duration of outages and the number of customers experiencing outages over and over again in the course of a year, there’s clearly a ton of room for improvement.” …

The story includes a link to submit a public comment regarding this proposal. Follow the link and click ‘submit comment.’

dte (and consumers energy, I believe) is among the country’s worst power companies, and anything holding them accountable is warmly welcome!

That said, as I pointed out in my own public comment, all utilities and infrastructure should be publically owned. Publically owned bodies are generally more responsible and responsibly run, what with We The Public breathing down their necks alla time. Be nice to have those profits plowed into state funding for its own and other infrastructure, too, also.

5 Likes
13 Likes
11 Likes
12 Likes

BBC News - Paris says au revoir to rental e-scooters

7 Likes

Good, but wow, what an amazingly self centered article. The author talked more about himself than the actual news that he was covering.

7 Likes
10 Likes

Has this been posted yet?

[eta] cross-posted from a previously posted instance over in the magical history thread…

12 Likes