Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

11 Likes

We donā€™t have a ā€œSouth fails to rise againā€ thread.

1 Like

Because some of us down here are ā€œrisingā€ against the ideology that denies that there is any kind of leftist, radical traditions down here. How about we not let the neo-confederates dominate our understanding of politics down hereā€¦ Iā€™m really kind of sick of being derided by the right down here, and by the left in the rest of the countryā€¦

10 Likes
4 Likes

Pay-walled, but really, the onebox has the tl;dr.

8 Likes

Violent crime, especially homicide, is actually dropping at a historic rate.

10 Likes

But the perception of a crime wave still colors U.S. politics.

Thanks to mainstream news outlets like [cough cough] The Los Angeles Times. :roll_eyes:

9 Likes

Hereā€™s a gift version. The video is kinda cool.

9 Likes

Thank you! The video was strangely cathartic
Glad the ppl cutting his ugly face off and melting down the statue had the sense to stay anonymous

10 Likes

Yeah, but at least theyā€™re reporting this story. I have a feeling NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN, and even MSNBC will be radio silence on this.

11 Likes

ā€œVirgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E.Leeā€

7 Likes
9 Likes

I wonder if thereā€™s a suckersā€™ market for ā€œtrue ingotsā€ of Robert E. Lee (and Traveller)?

I donā€™t do Apple Notes, but this seems like a Good Thing:

Does Apple Notes not have an export function, or is it the Markdown option thatā€™s new?

1 Like
8 Likes

Pretty sure this most often the case. Forbidden fruit and all that. Book banners tend toward authoritarian so defiance of their edicts is just unthinkable. Kids donā€™t usually respond well to that. And before someone tries to bith-sides this, on the left we usually ā€œbanā€ books in the ā€œthis is a piece of crap, donā€™t waste your timeā€ sense, not in a ā€œburn the witchā€ sense.

9 Likes

If you really want to make sure that nobody will consider something to be read for fun or enjoyment, donā€™t ban it ā€” make it compulsory in year 10 English.

5 Likes

People love obsidian but isnā€™t it a subscription service? Not sure I want that for notes thanks.

Book bans backfiring? Study reveals increased readership for prohibited books

Backfiring?

I think the point of current book bans is to agitate rightwing voters. Actually stopping kids from reading books is not the goal, itā€™s just a baity issue to dangle in front of conservative parents.

So before Iā€™d say the bans are backfiring, Iā€™d look into whether conservative parents are fighting against book bans, instead of getting duped into fighting for them.

5 Likes
12 Likes