Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

One of the four dams was removed earlier this year, and the other three are slated to be taken down in early 2024. Removal of the dams will result in restoration of habitat originally altered more than 100 years ago with construction of the first dam.

The Klamath River runs more than 250 miles from Oregon’s high desert interior through the Cascade Mountains before entering the Pacific Ocean in northern California. It has broad ecological, cultural, recreational and economic relevance. The river was once the third largest salmon-producing river on the West Coast. Those salmon served as the foundation of life and culture for Tribes living along the river.

Construction of the dams in the early-to-mid-20th century blocked access for salmon and other fish species to hundreds of miles of habitat and created barriers that led to increases in pathogens deadly to the fish.

9 Likes

7 Likes

I’ve been to the headwaters, the estuary, and most of the river in between. Klamath country is beautiful and bringing salmon back is just going to make it even better.

10 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

from

10 Likes

but new synthetic alternatives could mean pharma won’t bleed this unique species dry

12 Likes
10 Likes

So, like only Africans, or will they allow African “hyphenated”? I hope it’s the latter.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see if they eventually move towards a Schengen type arrangement on the continent, and indeed that seems to be the goal, according to the article.

I wonder if this is the “post-nation-state” future… that rather than nation-states, we instead have interconnected super-regions, more akin to states… retain autonomy to some degree, but facilitate the ease of movement for people and goods within a given region?

8 Likes
8 Likes

Awesome picture

14 Likes
8 Likes

I saw that picture on Bluesky today along with this post:

this is the coolest online has ever been

4 Likes

tenor-1037973019

8 Likes

(No good working links yet. In the meantime…)

Ohio Votes to Establish Right to Abortion

The State Constitution will protect access to the procedure. The result sends a strong signal that voters are still angry about the demise of Roe v. Wade.

Democrat Andy Beshear Is Re-elected Kentucky Governor

The popular governor defeated Daniel Cameron, the state’s attorney general and a protégé of Senator Mitch McConnell, in a noteworthy victory for a Democrat in a deeply conservative state.

In a stunning repudiation of right-wing extremism, the unapologetically pro-abortion and pro-trans rights Governor Andy Beshear cruised to re-election in the deep-red state of Kentucky.

11 Likes

Kentucky. Ohio. And now Virginia.

10 Likes

I am not going back to acoustic couplers.

Smoking a pipe is open for discussion.

5 Likes
7 Likes
12 Likes

He was just going to store and stopped in for a few pints! He wasn’t really lost guys. Geeze, can’t a fellow enjoy himself without everyone getting upset these days?

3 Likes
9 Likes