Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

Good news for the Lower Sioux, and also for everyone else if this concept pans out:

7 Likes

Obviously this is an n=1 situation, but it seems to be indicative of the general issue: you can follow the guidelines and take drugs for the rest of your life, or simply cut carbs.

4 Likes

Hopefully, some good news for fish facing challenges from wind turbine development and pollution:

8 Likes

ru paul's drag race choices GIF

Hungry Night Court GIF by Laff

3 Likes

Weird. I’m glad she got better, but is just cutting “carbs” the only dietary solution to diabetes? And what exactly are “carbs” anyway?

And unless I missed it, she didn’t say that in addition to cutting carbs, she also cut this:

I was always thirsty, and had taken to drinking pitchers of sweet apple cider.

That sounds like a LOT of sugar, but the whole focus of the article is “carbs.” Is high sugar consumption no longer a factor with diabetes?

And aren’t vegetables and whole grains also carbs? Maybe she means refined, processed carbs (she did mention white rice being a no no for her).

Finally, living with a high fat and protein and “no carbs” diet seems risky to me in other ways (hello colon cancer!).

9 Likes

I found the medical advice to be weird, too. When my mother was diagnosed the doctor signed her up for a class on medication and diet. I attended with her, and there were a lot of changes recommended to reduce the need for medication. That course was given in the hospital, and this makes me wonder about the health system where the author’s doctor works/has an affiliation.

6 Likes

https://archive.ph/A5xaE

City Council & the Governor don’t want safe injection sites. An interesting assertion of the religious privilege argument.

3 Likes

From a diabetic’s perspective, ‘carbs’ are very well defined, and include all sugars. I have to count carbs to adjust my bolus insulin. There are rules of thumb for fruit portion sizes and breads. Packaged foods have the carb count listed.

8 Likes

There’s lots of green (and purple and brown and orange) vegetable stuff you can eat that’s full of fiber and nutrition and fairly low in carbs and high in fat, but I think the thing you want to avoid most is spiking your GI, and that happens with sugars and shorter chained carbohydrates.

I found that lowering my daily carbohydrates had a positive effect on my weight, and appetite, but unfortunately I live with an Italian, and good luck getting them to give up pasta and rice (and do not suggest wholegrain, or non wheat flour alternative pasta if you have an aversion to the stinkeye).

7 Likes

Koch and DeVos will just fund a new group, and all the non -rapey members will transfer over.

4 Likes

and all the rapey members that haven’t been caught yet will transfer over. :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I just took over the cooking, substituted veggie and whole grain pastas, and was extra generous with the sauce. :wink: No one noticed a thing!

Season 9 Phoebe GIF by Friends

9 Likes

Ah, flashbacks to the days of being late home from school, stern instructions given to re-heat dinner and eat it, then my making eating noises while scraping the plate off into the dog bowl…

I’m sure there’s nothing like a “phasers on stun” stare from across the table to make the fambly “oblivious” to the chick-pea fettucini slowly congealing into mealy re-fried porridge on the plate. :thinking: :grin:

4 Likes

From that Neil Barsky opinion piece in The Guardian @chgoliz posted upthread:

I now realize my doctor was making an honest attempt to follow the guidelines issued by the American Diabetes Association. I didn’t ask him if he was aware that the top five funders of the ADA are the pharmaceutical companies Abbott, AstraZeneca, Eli Lilly and Co, Novo Nordisk and Regeneron.

I acknowledge I am now off-topic, so here’s something encouraging:

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/fda-approves-first-cellular-therapy-treat-patients-type-1-diabetes

FDA Approves First Cellular Therapy to Treat Patients with Type 1 Diabetes

For Immediate Release: June 28, 2023

Today, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Lantidra, the first allogeneic (donor) pancreatic islet cellular therapy made from deceased donor pancreatic cells for the treatment of type 1 diabetes. Lantidra is approved for the treatment of adults with type 1 diabetes who are unable to approach target glycated hemoglobin (average blood glucose levels) because of current repeated episodes of severe hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) despite intensive diabetes management and education.

“Severe hypoglycemia is a dangerous condition that can lead to injuries resulting from loss of consciousness or seizures,” said Peter Marks, M.D., Ph.D., director of the FDA’s Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. “Today’s approval, the first-ever cell therapy to treat patients with type 1 diabetes, provides individuals living with type 1 diabetes and recurrent severe hypoglycemia an additional treatment option to help achieve target blood glucose levels.”

9 Likes
8 Likes
7 Likes

If these items are still available and have a texture like pasteurized processed cheese product slices, I’d say they’re probably not that word.

I am not diabetic, but I do take care of someone who is. Nothing in that article was actually new information. Doctors know that careful monitoring of your carb intake is crucial in managing type 2 diabetes, and they have for awhile. And I suspect that author’s doctor did, too, which is why he gave her a brochure about managing diabetes, which probably included a lot of dietary advice she left out of the article.
As far as sugar versus carbs, sugar is a type of carbohydrate. Table sugar is a very simple type of carbohydrate, and will spike a diabetic’s blood sugar very quickly. But other carbs, especially the kind you find in things like white bread, white rice, corn, etc., are also fairly simple carbohydrates that will raise the blood sugar of a diabetic fairly quickly. Green leafy vegetables also contain carbs, along with a lot of fiber, and they are more complex carbohydrates. So it takes your body longer to break them down into a form your cells can process, so they don’t spike your blood sugar as quickly.

Here’s what the author of that article is missing, though. She has not reversed her diabetes at all. If she started eating a bunch of wonder bread peanut butter and jelly sandwiches tomorrow, her blood sugar and A1C would very quickly be out of control again. Once your cells have developed a problem with the natural ability to use insulin from your own pancreas to break down sugars, that doesn’t come back. I am not diabetic. I can eat a wonder bread peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and my blood sugar would increase to something over 110, probably (maybe higher, I don’t know the numbers), pretty quickly, and then pretty quickly come back down to normal. If she ate that same sandwich, her blood sugar would spike way higher, and take a long time to come down. She has not reversed her diabetes. We don’t yet have a way to do that. She’s just able to control hers with diet, which a lot of type 2 diabetics can if they are diligent about that, and get diagnosed before things have gotten too bad. The woman I take care of was diagnosed as pre-diabetic about 10 years ago. That progressed to full diabetes about 5 years ago. She has never had a shot of insulin. She manages hers with diet. She did start taking one of the newer medicines last year, Rybelsus, and that’s been close to a fucking wonder drug for her. She was starting to have a lot of problems with diabetic ulcers on her legs, and all of that has gone away. The woman who wrote that article may be in for a shock in a few years when she finds out she can no longer control hers with just diet.

7 Likes

I’ve been struggling with type 2 for many years, and until I got a constant glucose monitor, I was getting really high a1c results every quarter. Now I’m able to see cause-and-effect with what I eat, and since I’m luckily still spry enough, I can hop on my bike if my blood sugar starts climbing too high. I’ve cut my daily insulin requirements in half and now weigh less than I did back in high school. It’s been a total game changer for me.

10 Likes

Interesting. I hope it’s feasible.

6 Likes