Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

11 Likes

12 Likes

Today, my co-counsel Greg Adler and I [Mark Bankston] filed suit against Fox, Newsmax, Univision, Timcast, Steven Crowder, Owen Shroyer, Simon Ateba, and Hollywood Unlocked for falsely portraying our innocent client as a neo-Nazi mass shooter.

Also:

11 Likes

668d20c0-d360-478d-bd6f-aebb6bc432b0_text

9 Likes

A number of medical situations require platelet transfusions – such as cases of severe bleeding, or for patients who are going into surgery or receiving chemotherapy. Currently, patients in any of those situations receive platelets harvested from blood donors, ideally from donors with a compatible blood type. This is challenging, because there is a very limited supply of platelets available, those platelets have a limited shelf life, and the platelets must be stored under controlled conditions.

“We’ve developed synthetic platelets that can be used with patients of any blood type and are engineered to go directly to the site of injury and promote healing,” says Ashley Brown, corresponding author of a paper on the synthetic platelets and an associate professor in the joint biomedical engineering program at North Carolina State University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. “The synthetic platelets are also easy to store and transport, making it possible to give the synthetic platelets to patients in clinical situations sooner – such as in an ambulance or on the battlefield.”

Ashley - So they don’t break down specifically. However, we have seen that they are safely tolerated by the body and any particles that don’t go to the wound site are able to come out through the urine. And we’ve seen that after delivery of the particles. There’s no adverse effects that we’ve observed to this point, even at really high doses of the particles. So they’re well tolerated and they’re able to be excreted through normal mechanisms.

Chris - What are the implications and the next steps then now you’ve got this proof of concept? Is the next step to go to clinical trials and try this in people?

Ashley - Absolutely. So currently we’re working towards a few additional preclinical toxicology studies, which are required before moving into clinical trials. But then the next step after that would be moving into human clinical trials.

13 Likes

There are a number of initiatives to restore former watercourses that were buried in the past.

17 Likes
12 Likes

I don’t know where else to put this, but I find this to be an encouraging story. So I’m putting it here. Even though we generally hate the NY Times.

ETA: I wanted to include one quote from the article from Ada Nicolle, a young trans woman who is also a crossword puzzle constructor, because it mentions an answer that showed up in a NYT crossword last year, and I had a very similar reaction to seeing it. It was very cool to see “gender euphoria” show up in a NYT crossword puzzle.

“You see a bunch of news stories about these bills being passed about trying to take away your right to existence,” she added, “and if you’re solving a crossword puzzle and you see ‘gender euphoria’ in the grid as a matter-of-fact thing that people feel, it’s incredibly powerful.”

9 Likes

This art is :fire: and its message, while not strictly “good (encouraging) stuff” may motivate people to fight for what is right:

Wow!

15 Likes

It sucks that a case like this took so fucking long to get to a hearing, but maybe some who were tortured will finally see some justice for what happened to them.

10 Likes
12 Likes

Great stuff indeed, thanks. I want some in my town.

Swiftian!

14 Likes

This seems like a healthy attitude when faced with heightism. I also didn’t realize the reason Reich is the height he is.

16 Likes

I dimly remember seeing something about him on TV at the time he was Secretary of Labor in the Clinton administration. One segment was about him giving a speech at some sort of convention for industrialists, I think. Anyway, Reich opened up with “Now, do I look like Big Government to you?”

16 Likes

Reminds me a lot of Scarfolk Council.

5 Likes

Yes, I can see that. A difference for me is that while works by the Birmingham Banksy usually skewer a target, Scarfolk stuff mostly just seems bizarre and surreal.

4 Likes

Scarfolk’s also much creepier for the most part. B’ham/Poundland Banksy’s ‘kids’ poster was the creepiest, most Scarfolkian of that photo gallery.

5 Likes

For sure, I can see why you drew the parallel with that one!

3 Likes

Progress with the hempcrete facility:

When Earl Pendleton first heard about building houses out of hemp more than a decade ago, it seemed like a far-fetched idea.

…

He was impressed with how hemp-based building materials resulted in mold-, pest-, and fire-resistant houses. Additionally, it helps regulate temperatures, keeping homes cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

“If we could cut down on our members’ energy costs, we had to try it,” said Pendleton.

13 Likes

Happy Lets Go GIF by NHL

13 Likes