Good (Encouraging) Stuff (Part 2)

You may have seen the news about the group trying to beat all the Super Mario Maker 1 levels before the servers shut down. They beat almost all the levels that had not been declared unbeatable (due to glitches they used having been patched out) or tool-assisted speedrun (TAS) only levels, leaving just one left. The creator of the final level left finally admitted it was TAS too, so their quest ended with a bit of a (successful) whimper rather than a bang.

But some players weren’t willing to leave it at that. One beat that last level too. For a short non-X video focusing on the clear, see this one.

6 Likes

I thought it was a guy in Brazil? Or Argentina? Colbert mentioned it in his monologue earlier in the week…

6 Likes

I don’t know. But people don’t keep that crown very long.

6 Likes

7 Likes
10 Likes

Just, FYI, it recounts the events of the genocide, so consider this a warning. It’s upsetting, obviously.

6 Likes

3. We can slay giants.** I know the supposed looming AI takeover, the diminished capabilities of Google, and Amazon’s accelerated creep into every facet of our lives make it feel like it’s too late. But it’s not.

A couple of days ago, most people had never heard of The Handbasket; many people hadn’t heard of the Kansas Reflector. But here we are, taking on Meta. The powers that be have talked about us in hushed meetings.

If we were nobody, if we meant nothing, if we didn’t present some sort of threat to their supremacy, they would feel no need to address us at all. I am just one woman sitting at a kitchen table in Brooklyn with her laptop, and they are a multi-billion dollar international company with every lever of power at their disposal. Yet here we are, facing off.

Will this fracas result in the dismantling of Meta? Not by a long shot. But there’s this pervasive mentality among tech giants that if they keep diminishing the power and prestige of the press and develop access-dependent relationships with large outlets that they’ll be insulated from criticism and unbound by a responsibility to do better. Yet we continue to see that that’s simply not the case.

9 Likes
18 Likes

FYI, this article gives details on the genocide, so be warned about that.

9 Likes

Ha! The 1950ies people in Back to the Future were right!

10 Likes
10 Likes

The rent is too damn high? But it’s going…down? Anyway, I didn’t realize that it’s a huge (but also not especially worrisome) factor for those alarmed by the March report of higher than expected inflation. That and-- car insurance!?

The good news:

In short, there is still plenty of reason for believing that the pandemic inflation is behind us. For now, the March report gave the inflation hawks some fresh meat, but a more careful look suggests that it doesn’t change the basic picture of inflation being largely under control.

7 Likes
10 Likes

Emma Stone Laughing GIF

13 Likes

Having been there recently, they have very specific, complex reasons for such actions.

All it takes (for an American) is thinking about the introduced-but-now-wild pigs ruining Hawaii to get a sense of it.

12 Likes

Just tell him not to got to the afterparty at the Grey Havens…

6 Likes

Canadian Thumbs Up GIF by CBC

6 Likes

Also see rabbits and cane toads in Australia, rats on various Pacific islands (such as the Galapagos), etc etc.

7 Likes

Florida….

6 Likes

https://archive.ph/w09l5

7 Likes