Good riddance: Justice Kennedy; Democrats, it's time for hardcore, relentless Gorsuch payback

Yep. Everything, and I mean everything, that one party does when in power should be tempered by the knowledge that someday the shoe will be on the other foot.

4 Likes

EDIT: To clarify, I meant the rider, not Incitatus

5 Likes

Have you seen The List?

It’s a rogues’ gallery of hard right, anti-choice, anti-LGBTQ, and pro-law enforcement hacks.

14 Likes

When they go low, we go high. I think we should sit looking pained as Trump nominates the craziest fascist he can find. Then we shall sniff at him in disapproval. Sniff! I sniff, sir!

Without a doubt, Republicans will feel the full weight of our frowns and feel ashamed and amend their ways.

15 Likes

The next two years are going to see a motherlode (heh) of lawsuits in support of restrictions on abortion all to ensure that one or more will get Roe v. Wade overturned. Heck, the Court with Kennedy just allowed the big-store Xtianist confidence games known as “Pregnancy Crisis Centres” to continue operating despite the fact they’re based on fraud and deception.

10 Likes

Hopefully this will teach a lesson to some people who are, gosh, just too busy to vote, and hey, it doesn’t matter, anyway. It DOES matter; this is what happens when you don’t vote.

3 Likes

As I understand it – and please correct me if I’m wrong here! – the Democrats can’t stop the SC nomination if the Republicans all hold together. The GOP could stop Garland’s nomination because they were the majority, and they still are, albeit just a slim one. But the Dems are currently in the minority, which makes all the difference.

So, if the Republicans get their nomination through, think it through and check your facts before starting to scream about spineless Democrats and useless Establishment and so on and on. Despite the Republicans repeatedly embracing it, the idea that all you need is Will to get your way is not true.

4 Likes

First, bell the cat.

What happens if there’s a Blue Slosh in November; not enough to derail the Trump Train, but enough to set off Donnie on another of his elections are rigged, illegals voting, blah-blah-blah, tirades? (After all, it couldn’t have been his fault.)

Better start looking at the ways that he could interfere with the 2020 elections. Don’t count on him not using every emergency power or exceptional clause buried in old legislation. Someone will dig those up for him, and he has no moral constraints holding him back.

13 Likes

You say that now, but I think we should give Justice [Michael] Cohen a chance, see how he settles into the role.

7 Likes

LOL thanks I needed that!

I can see Cohen now as case after case is brought into the Supreme Court: "I’ll mess your life up! … So I’m warning you, tread very f–king lightly because what I’m going to do to you is going to be f–king disgusting. Do you understand me? Don’t think you can hide behind your pen because it’s not going to happen. I’m more than happy to discuss it with your attorney and with your legal counsel because mother----r you’re going to need it.”

trumpian law

3 Likes

So, the same corporatist democrats who sat on their hands while Obama was denied his appointment are suddenly going to grow backbones and begin to fight back?

6 Likes

I’m not sure what good slow-walking this until after the election does. The Dems can’t stop confirmation; they can only postpone the inevitable (absent some sort of terrible failure in the vetting process whereby the nominee’s past murder convictions are concealed until committee hearings start).

Justice Kennedy’s replacement is going to be nominated by Trump and confirmed by a GOP Senate, the only question is when. And “when” matters a whole lot in terms of the 2018 midterm election. Throwing every wrench in the works to postpone the confirmation so that it can’t happen before the election will drive GOP voter turnout (which was expected to be depressed) like nobody’s business. Is that worth the risk? I’m not sure it is.

6 Likes

My bowels are in a major uproar over this. And with Trump-friendlies on SCOTUS, who knows how that would affect any future personal legalities Trump will run into. I’m not kidding; Trump’s shysters would frame his travails in broad enough scope to entice SCOTUS interest.

3 Likes

There’s plenty of scope to slow-walk the approval of whatever goose-stepper Trump wants to put on the bench next, procedural knots that can be tied to delay matters until the 2018 mid-terms, when we may take the senate. If that’s the case, then let’s just leave the fucking seat empty until 2020.

No. There aren’t. Trump is going to nominate a SCOTUS justice candidate. Whom McConnell is going to shepherd through the procedural hoops. And that SCOTUS justice is going to be on the bench well before January 3, 2019, the swearing-in date for the new Senate.

There is no “payback”. There is just “piling on”.

1 Like

oh @doctorow civility please. civility. /s

If you go down, may as well go down with a fight instead of a whimper.

1 Like

I predict the Democrats will fail at blocking this nomination. They’re incredibly good at failing, no matter what the situation.

3 Likes

I would say pleasure at the end of pain, but I may have watched Hellraiser too many times :wink:

1 Like

Of course they will fail. The centrist and leftist parts of the party would have to coordinate and work together and I don’t think they can. It’s a failed party and I’m just waiting for a new party to rise from the ashes.

2 Likes

The only way out is through.

10 Likes