Good riddance to Klout, horseman of the influencer apocalypse

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/25/good-riddance-to-klout-horsem.html

4 Likes

I don’t see the connection to Trump, but if they’re gone i guess it doesn’t matter?

1 Like

It’s the whole “online presence” thing, being entirely dependent on how many people you’re reaching for good or ill. Classic Trump.

4 Likes

As always, XKCD has an excellent input on the subject.

16 Likes

The causes are somewhat older and deeper than that.

3 Likes

What weirds me out is that I’d never even heard of Klout until learning that it was going the way of Geocities.

7 Likes

The trend that begat and was fueled by Klout is a reason though. After all, nothing happens in a vacuum.

Lucky you.

2 Likes

I used Klout for about a week in 2009 and suddenly felt totally inadequate. So, I stopped using it and never thought about it again. I’m happy I did that.

3 Likes

I remember when it came out, and all I could think was, “Are you fucking kidding me?”

5 Likes

I’d add a few additional items to the ‘and nothing of value was lost’ pile.

Klout’s COO was Emil Michael; better known for his subsequent work with definitely-excellent-person Travis Kalanick and the whole “You know, just speaking hypothetically, it would be cheap and totally doable to just hire opposition research to harass journalists that annoy us” incident.

And:

Well, do you want to bro down?

3 Likes

Are you looking for it? That tends to be the first step!

3 Likes

Apparently Klout did have some uses.

and recently, for the first time, I read a letter from a job candidate that mentioned his Klout score.

Excellent! toss!

1 Like

I would prefer not to.

1 Like

Then I suspect you might never find the thing you would prefer not to look for. Sounds blissful!

2 Likes

Does that include droids?

2 Likes

I didn’t get this at first. Good one!

The question we should be asking is what is next? The sort of ill intended by Klout is not going away, it is being folded into new products. From the Lithium Website:

The Lithium engagement platform comprises Online Community, Social Media Management and Messaging products for social customer service, social support and social media marketing teams to listen, respond and act on customer conversations – creating deep relationships and fostering brand loyalty and advocacy.

No joke: i got a free Chili’s gift certificate from Klout and then a week later i got a package of butt wipes.

Were the butt wipes intended for after-Chili’s use, because – you know – a week is a bit too long.

Happy to have never heard of it until today. Also, the term “sunset” cracks me up. It’s like if flat-earthers ran a company and didn’t have the 1st clue that it’s coming right back around the next fucking morning!