Google launches worst corporate April Fools joke ever, quickly takes it down

A good reminder that email is not what Gmail is for.

Huh? Is there more to this story?

1 Like

And end up dumbed down to iCrap level?

Remember when MS launched its Trustworthy Computing initiative that put an end to easter eggs in MS products once and for all? Not sure how well the rest of that initiative panned out, but they seem to have stuck pretty well to that resolution. I guess we can expect Google to adopt something similar.

1 Like

At least I can send email without worrying that Apple has decided to prank me by disrupting the behavior of a critical productivity tool without warning.

1 Like

I started on CP/M.
Iā€™ve been a Unix user from the AT&T Sys-V days.
Iā€™ve messed about with every ā€œalternateā€ OS there is, (Bochs, NeXT, every version of OS/2, many others).
Iā€™ve used pretty much all the Linux desktop distros and window managers (e.g. Gnome, KDE, and friends) at one time or another.
Iā€™ve used every version of Windows, starting with 2.x (it came bundled with a few commercial apps before the 3.x release)
Iā€™ve also used every version of DOS and various other multi-processing environments, (Desqview, QEMM etc)

What do I do 90% of my work on nowadays?

ā€¦wait for itā€¦

OSX!

Why?

Because I can get my work done faster and easier with a GUI thatā€™s consistent and functional across all apps.
Sure thereā€™s things I canā€™t do sometimes, and I have a whole library of ā€œother OSā€ VMs for that 10% of my work, but I do a lot more ā€œweirdā€ stuff than most and I still prefer OSX for what it can do. Most folks can do 100% with itā€¦

3 Likes

Get over yourselves. ā€œErmagerrhd my email is the most important thing that ever importanted!ā€

1 Like

Sergey?? Or is it Larry?

3 Likes

Ditto. Iā€™m genuinely curious about this line in the story. Anyone know?

Hmmmmmā€¦you have a lot of posting history so youā€™re not the obvious shill account used to maintain the illusion, so I will accept that it actually happened.

Yeah, I saw it too, the evening before April Foolā€™s Day. They couldnā€™t even time their dumb joke right.

3 Likes

A friend of mine just said that people got in trouble over it, for using it with their boss or whateverā€¦

4 Likes

Gmail is one of Googleā€™s more ā€œproductiveā€ data sources.

(Also @Exonauts)

1 Like

Jokeā€™s on them, then. I hardly ever get email from actual people. So itā€™s kind of just scattershot ads I didnā€™t ask for (based on extremely tenuous relationships to things I actually did) feeding back into other ads. :laughing:

2 Likes

Got one from my dad - thankfully it wasnā€™t inappropriate, but I was left wondering what had gotten into himā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s real. Noticed it last night when I was sending out some invoices.

Probably time to just start carving Google up into smaller, more manageable companies too afraid to do something like this ever again.

Me too (maybe closer to 97% nowadays). But some of the more ā€¦ adorable ā€¦ folks just say witty things like ā€œiCrap.ā€ Best to just pat them on the head and send them off to play with their toils.

Anyway, did you ever get to mess much with BeOS?

(Unrelated: wonder if @wisconsinplatt is a Mark E. Rogers fan.)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.