Google to sell enormous smartphone

[Permalink]

3 years later, Apple introduces a 5.9 inch iPhone.

4 Likes

Yup, that’s the rumoured size, this rumour has been floating around for a while now. Motorola is supposedly making it, this time around. I’m mostly curious about the price… My S3 is starting to behave a bit erratically, and I’ve got 1.5 years left on my contract (F you, 3 year Canadian cell provider contracts), so I’ll be looking at buying an off-contract phone this time around. It’s between the Nexus 6 and the OnePlus One, I think.

yeah, I was going to say that 5.5" used to be considered “enormous” until Apple released one…

But, of course, Apple wouldn’t do this, because that would be “theft”…

4 Likes

Hope it has a better battery than the Nexus 5.

I’ve had no problems with the N5’s battery, even running navigation (to give me realtime traffic updates) and MozStumbler every time I drive, even without plugging it in. What I hate about the N5 is the fact that no matter what I do, it’s not wanting to do 802.11n almost all the time. I’ve seen various threads about this issue, tried various suggestions and just no dice.

1 Like

Fantastic! I love my Note 2, but the thing I dislike the most about it is the Samsung and carrier bloatware that I cannot remove.

1 Like

Root it, install Titanium backup, and all those troubles can be behind you. Of course, then you could also just install CyanogenMod or any of a number of other ROMs either, if you wanted to go really crazy.

2 Likes

I have rooted phones in the past and found that they bring their own issues that I have to live with, its a trade off. Then there is the work involved… its not difficult or time consuming to root, but I would be happier with a device that I didnt have to manage the OS.

Rooting on its own doesn’t really introduce any issues. It’s only once you start going more into custom roms that you get into weird issues. I had my S3 stock-but-rooted (strictly to uninstall all the bloatware I didn’t want) from the day I got it, and never had any issues. It’s only after 2 years of abuse that it’s starting to show its age.

1 Like
2 Likes

It does. There are some apps which won’t operate on a rooted phone.

Really? Which ones? I’ve never encountered one.

1 Like

The battery will be one larger.

Google should get their priorities straight and finally release the Nexus 10 2.

The ones I’m aware of are those supplied by Sky TV - allowing remote recording programming, or programme streaming. They’re deliberately blocked on rooted phones.

Yes, but will it bend?

Rootcloak takes care that problem for most programs.

I believe that phones are evolving to these larger sizes because of the blending selection pressure. Eventually, the ones that are too large to fit in the blender will dominate the ecosystem.

Edit: aging eyes and small screens do not blend well - just noticed that the question was “will it bend”. Perhaps I am the target market for big phone…

4 Likes