Goose Island's new Cadbury Egg flavored beer

If it really were “Cadbury Egg flavored” it wouldn’t even be drinkable in that amount, though.

Huh, must be some selection bias (on the part of my local store’s purchases) at play, as I’m seeing the same kind of hoppy beers as 10 years ago. I must have missed the really hoppy micro-brews, I guess. But I am seeing an overwhelming preponderance of IPAs and “pale ales” that are essentially IPAs.

1 Like

IPAs but very different IPAs. Though it’s still a bit regional. Out west, particularly California, the PNW and Colorado. Is where the older style of American IPA came up. Currently referred to as “West Coast IPAs” as a result (less charitably “Old Man IPA”). For the last decade North East IPAs, or New England IPAs since they originated in Vermont, have been setting the trend. It took till about 5 or 6 years ago for them to even become available outside the North East. With the core area for them being Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, NY and PA. But since then they have completely altered the face of the craft business.

Thing is the Midwest is still a strong market for the West Coast style, the traditional South only discovered craft beer like a week ago. And Western brewers, particularly in California are obstinately opposed to the newer styles. Many refused to brew them, or even acknowledge them as beer. And multiple prominent breweries have done weird ass shit like troll and harass their own customers online for liking them.

The early ones didn’t travel well, and the style came out a group of breweries who are somewhat opposed to the idea of distribution. So from what I’m told they were difficult to get west of the Mississippi until about 3 years or so ago.

I forget where you’re at. But it’s entirely possible you’re not seeing as many of them as I do in the heart of that scene. Most of your major national breweries, sizable craft breweries of any reputation and pretty much any brewery less than 10 years old is all over it at the moment though. Anything labeled “hazy” or “juicy”, most IPAs in a 16oz can.

Apparently they’ve also become a major thing in Australia and New Zealand. And the European craft scene is very interested.

If you’re not an IPA guy I’d recommend giving them another whirl it’s almost an entirely different style of beer these days. It’s all about bright, citrusy or tropical hops; light bodied, mixed grain bills, and little to moderate bitterness.

American Pale Ales like wise have shifted a bit. Most of them currently are single hop varietal, light bodied, 5% session beers. A bit like a session IPA but simpler and geekier. They don’t sell nearly as well, but they’re very approachable and usually a good way to learn about today’s hops.

2 Likes

The periods in my life when I would enjoy eating a Cadbury egg (growing up, the caramel ones, and peeps, were my favorite easter candies), and when I would enjoy drinking a beer, had an overlap of maybe a month, and it is not this month.

2 Likes

BACK IN MY DAY

Back in my day, beer names weren’t a paragraph and beer descriptions actually said what was in the beer. 4 fruits and lactose isn’t a beer, it’s a smoothie. Anyways youngin’, try something that tastes exactly like a beer should, like a beer.

2 Likes

Ironically “normal” beers are a rising trend.

4 Likes

Thank goodness.

Tell them I want 4% ABV, highish dextrins, pronounced malt and hop flavour, minimally conditioned. Sometimes I make my own with a nice 6.x% IPA mixed with a de-alchoholized beer. Shake it a bit to drive off the gas.

You’d like a lot of English craft then… especially what Moor’s does… Nor'Hop 4.1% — Moor Beer - Live Beer, Naturally Carbonated, Vegan Friendly

There’s an interesting market here, plenty of traditional ale breweries, loads of craft, and more than a few breweries which straddle both.

1 Like

Yeah, the trend here is a return to Münchner Helles, kicked off by Spaten when they released their vintage labels and a return to the old Euro bottles. Right now I have beer from a local brewer in my pantry: Haderner Bräu. They claim to be the first fully organic brewery within city limits, and are within walking distance of my flat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.