GOP candidate Tim Scott's "Meet my girlfriend no-one's ever seen before" shirt has people asking questions already answered by the shirt

Originally published at: GOP candidate Tim Scott's "Meet my girlfriend no-one's ever seen before" shirt has people asking questions already answered by the shirt | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Is she From Canada™?

27 Likes

Nyet Da

13 Likes

Yea, he met her at summer camp!

11 Likes

So in the recent elections what happened to the woman the GOP was trying to shame for having sex with her husband on whatever online platform? I hope she won.

7 Likes

Absolutely! Her name is Alberta and she lives in Vancouver. Delightful woman.

The internal policing is interesting to watch, at least from the outside. There are so many reasons a person may not have a partner even without being queer. I mean, if nothing else, you’d think it would be difficult for a conservative man to find a woman who’ll date him for reasons similar to why most chickens wouldn’t hang out with Harland Sanders.

These fools are so scared to step outside that rigidly defined group criteria they’ll attack each other over anything that is different. (I’m always a little surprised when I see a GOP politician who isn’t white or a man - seems like they’re already on thin ice.)

27 Likes

She did not.

2 Likes

As a boringly straight confirmed bachelor (one who likes musicals and design, to add to the confusion!) I can only agree. This insistence in American political culture that the romantic/marital/sexual status of a candidate is a reflection of their suitability for office is ridiculous.

I don’t know if Scott is a closeted gay man or not, and wouldn’t really care if not for the fact that he has a record of taking anti-LGBTQ+ positions that are de rigueur for any Republican candidate (see also Senator Huckleberry L.G. Freeloader).

27 Likes

But we hear all the time from GQP politicians that they had no appreciation of the problems women face until they had a wife and/or daughter(s) and their eyes were opened. Do you want Republicans without that deep understanding of women’s issues? Well, do you?

(alright, alright, /s)

12 Likes

Lindsey Graham GIF by GIPHY News

9 Likes

Why? It means that there is at least one person that can stand to be around them for extended periods of time when they aren’t on their best public behaviour. It’s a low bar, but at least it’s something.

1 Like

Because it should be ok for someone to be single by choice? Not everyone who doesn’t have a partner is single because they aren’t likable. Donald Trump is married. Is he likable?

19 Likes

phoebe waller-bridge GIF by BBC Three

the whole “marriage” test is really just another aspect of enforce heteronormativity… I mean, hell, it’s even kind of expect of LGBQT+ politicians (see Sec. Pete).

17 Likes

I find it interesting… a common trope here is that an unmarried politician is less likely to be corrupt because they don’t have any kids to play nepotism games. This is held up as one reason bachelors like Vajpayee and Modi (our two right wing PMs to date) are “good”. Even those who clearly have a family may not emphasize it at all.

It’s the opposite end of the spectrum but both are bullshit.

8 Likes

So “low,” it’s fucking negligible.

9 Likes

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

4 Likes

hipster beard GIF. Maybe…

2 Likes

Jimmy Fallon What GIF

3 Likes

Can we not?

4 Likes

Star Trek Applause GIF