GOP Congressman DOES believe in climate change, thinks Christian God will fix it

“Congressman argues that there is literally no point to him doing his job.”

That is, if he were being consistent about his reasoning.

11 Likes

One more logical jump to asking him whether he thinks his only job is to interpret the will of god, then BAM, he’s a congresspriest, and we finally get them to admit that they’re bucking for a theocracy.

9 Likes

And now for a brief interlude from Peter Gabriel and Robert Fripp:
(Users experiencing media-shear may need to take a short walk to shake off your trump)

Also, this is the best version of Here comes the Flood. Period. Gabriel au naturel, embedded in the raw cocoon of a Frippertronic landscape. That is all.

4 Likes

Retreating to fourth fallback position, defenses still holding!

1 Like

You may have heard of John 3:16, or seen it on tattoos or painted on cardboard at sporting events (For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.). Read the context too John 3

This central tenet of Christianity is that no matter how large the sin of the past–including murder, rape, apostasy, genocide, and destroying the planet for your children, etc., if you believe in Jesus, you will have eternal life and be saved. Most Christians don’t comprehend the implications of this I think, because the eye-for-an-eye crowd is better at putting butts in the pews, and I think most Christians will also tend to agree with the notion of doing good deeds is necessary to get into heaven.

…So it is consistent with the most central Christian tenet to believe that most actions have no consequences; and that there is only one action that has any real consequence–believing in Jesus. Everything else is washed away by the blood of the Lamb.

7 Likes

The Jewish version of this joke is better (duh):

[Mel Brooks voice] “Whaddya talkink about??? I sent you a boat, I sent you a helicopter, I sent you a cop…”

14 Likes

If you’re feeling sad that idiots like these get elected, and you want to feel even worse, look at what committees they’re on.

Committee assignments

• Committee on Education and the Workforce
  • Subcommittee on Health, Employment, Labor, and Pensions (Chairman)
  • Committee on Energy and Commerce

I’ve heard the cynical notion that parties have a price-list for congress-critters to buy their way onto a committee with contributions to the party in their name. That’s probably fucked-up enough to be true.

5 Likes

That’s good, although I’m not sure you could call it a test if the tester is already faithful that it will succeed.

I love that one…

I wish would God would just take care of these TGOP assholes.

To heck with arguing theology, that man needs a psych eval. He is clearly delusional.

4 Likes

Yeah, it was a bit of a leap.

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/01/dont-worry-about-climate-cha.html

1 Like

Simspons GIF, or youtube clip? Tough choice.

4 Likes

Well, “he” is the “SKY GOD,” duh.

1 Like

Proof that the BBers know a good post when they see it!

2 Likes

5 Likes

So much for “God helps those that help themselves”…

9 Likes

" Can man change the entire universe? No." He continued: “Why do I believe that? Well, as a Christian, I believe that there is a creator in God who is much bigger than us. And I’m confident that, if there’s a real problem, he can take care of it.”

The various levels of idiocy at play here are downright breathtaking. Atmosphere = “entire universe”?
I feel like someone needs to set fire to his house, and when the fire department show up, they stand there doing nothing and explain that if there was a real problem, god would take care of it, because after all, he’s much bigger than us.

11 Likes

I like a different one, from a old Spanish comic, Eugenio.

A man falls down a cliff and just manages to avoid death by hanging from a branch. So, of course, the next thing he does is start screaming.

“Is anybody here? Help! Is anybody here?”

And at that moment the sky opens and a blinding light surrounds him and an angel appears and say

“Yes, I’m here, my child. God has sent me to your help. Just let go of the branch and a whole army of angels will come to you, beating their wings at incredible speed, and catch you and let you down at the floor without harm”.

The guy keeps looking at the angel for a minute and then says…

“Thats nice. But… Is anybody else there?”

10 Likes

It’s important too, to point out that contemporary American evangelical fundamentalism - the kind of Christianity this congressman and his allies favor - elevated this passage in John above much of the rest of the New Testament. Including most of the passages indicated to be direct quotes of Jesus. I.e. The Sermon on the Mount. Responsibility for your behavior, the paramount importance of your conduct towards your fellow man - all that Jesus-y stuff - is downgraded against this passage from John for the congressman and his fellow travelers.

6 Likes