GOP congressman who said there were no insurrectionists was photographed barricading doors against insurrectionists

Originally published at: GOP congressman who said there were no insurrectionists was photographed barricading doors against insurrectionists | Boing Boing

8 Likes

Something is wrong with Rep. Andrew Clyde (Q-GA).

There’s something wrong with anyone who’s a member of a death cult.

29 Likes

What’s wrong with him is that he’s a Republican.

This is pretty standard operating procedure for them now.

20 Likes

The fact that there is footage exactly contradicting what Clyde is saying will have absolutely no effect on his target audience. “Alt-right turn, Clyde.”

30 Likes

I’ve always thought tourists are scary.

Sometimes I’m a scary tourist.

8 Likes

I wonder if it’s not a plus, really. Clyde has shown that he isn’t going to let a little thing like personally experiencing an angry mob trying to break in stop him from living in their version of reality.

16 Likes

Stabbed to death with his own words & actions, I love it when that happens.

18 Likes

Diagnosis: He’s a lying POS who doesn’t care that the physical evidence controverts what he says.

For the modern-day right-winger, truth doesn’t matter anymore. Reality is what you say it is.

13 Likes

Well, of course he was always making a disingenuous argument, pointing to the one video of one room at one point in time where people were staying behind the ropes. That video was notable - and much remarked upon - when it was released precisely because it was so completely unlike every other video of the event. This is the Republicans, now - telling monstrous lies because that’s the party line. I don’t think they’re actually trying to convince anyone, but just provide cover for people who want to pretend it’s true so they can keep doing more insurrections.

12 Likes

Metaphors often disappoint.

7 Likes

I offered my services, but alas was not excepted for the task.

5 Likes

He’ll claim he thought his colleagues were engaged in ad hoc interior decorating, and he decided to help out.

7 Likes

He’s conveniently easy to recognize, as he is the only one in the picture not wearing a mask.

7 Likes

GOP congressman who said there were no insurrectionists was photographed barricading doors against insurrectionists

But that was when he thought it was Antifa. Now he knows better, it was a mass hallucination caused by the stress of dealing with voter fraud.

/s

10 Likes

The official story now seems to be that Brian Sicknick’s death was a coincidence

6 Likes

Indeed, but here we are on strange territory.
Normally, self-preservation trumps (ahem) all. Lies are tools used to one’s own advantage, but there’s no advantage in a lie that brings one’s own demise.
So the lies usually stop when Death is seen approaching, and the instinct for self-preservation takes over. M.Romney for example was heard yelling some remarks about his colleagues having brought that particular s*itstorm about.
So Rep.Clyde’s behavior is… odd.

Mort

2 Likes

In my ongoing study of this problem there only seems to one solid correlation: anybody who has an (R- after their name in a news report appears to be prone to bizarre hostile behavior generally tending to the delusional and dysfunctional. The sample size in this study is quite large and absolute proof or causation is close. The biggest question remaining is which direction the causation flows although there remains the chance that this might be the rare bidirectional causation which often leads to a runaway feedback loop. More to follow.

6 Likes

Speaking of tourists, did anything happen with that talk of some members of the GOP (Greene?) giving suspicious tours just before Jan 6th? Did that just fizzle out as nothing, or is something still ongoing there?

9 Likes

It seems to be neither proven or disproven so far, at least as far as the public record goes.

ETA: From April 1 (poorly timed that)

Capitol Police, who are notoriously opaque and have declined to hold any media briefings since the Jan. 6 attack, recently revealed in a court filing that they had turned over tens of thousands of hours of surveillance video to lawmakers investigating the Jan. 6 attack, including more than 14,000 hours of footage from the key period between noon and 8 p.m. that day. In the filing, submitted by Capitol Police General Counsel Thomas DiBiase, the department indicated it had shared “limited” clips from Jan. 5 with the D.C. police to aid in investigations of other potential incidents related to the attack.

But the filing was silent on whether any Jan. 5 footage was shared with lawmakers pursuing questions about the prospect of “reconnaissance” for the rioters. DiBiase indicated that the department’s standard practice is to purge surveillance video after 30 days.

6 Likes

He’s a fascist and fascists never tell the truth.

That’s what’s wrong with him.

3 Likes