GOP Congressperson reported for disrespectfully using the Capitol dome as a playground

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/31/rep-congressperson-reported-for-disrespectfully-using-the-capitol-dome-as-a-playground.html

5 Likes

How is going past that sign a miscommunication? Was it in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.’?

18 Likes

That’s the display department.

12 Likes

Man, this was one structural failure away from being REALLY funny.

21 Likes

And eating away at the current working GQP majority of 2 votes in the house rn…

11 Likes

Great band name

4 Likes

Is it really and truly disrespectful? I’m not sure that it is. Foolhardy, perhaps. Potentially injurious to the building.

But it is a spectacular view that is closed to the public, and the flouting of the sign in order to flaunt ones access might inspire jealousy.

3 Likes

The sign did not include the necessary clarification “This means you!

7 Likes

The Republican was not aware that this rule also applied to Republicans. They are all for “freedom for us, fascism for everyone else”, after all.

15 Likes

Their debut album, “Eater of Faces”, was a real banger.

8 Likes

There was a real possibility for tragedy here, and unfortunately it occurred - he was fine. Still though, as far as disrespect to Congress and its buildings go, it was far from the worst Republican outrage…

9 Likes

If you’re going to use the place as a playground, then it needs more ball-pit:

7 Likes

And there’s also apparently a gate:

I was a US Senate Page in 1976 and never heard of the Tholos level, and pages know sht. No wonder - it’s WAY the fck up there and outside! There’s bird poop on the sign, so I’m betting on the stairs, as well.

This was a stunt, pure and simple. And I think the Architect of the Capitol has some say in this - not just the Sergeant-at-Arms.

The statuary hall - way below, and on the inside - just hasn’t been the same since Thomas Starr King was replaced by Ronald Reagan.

16 Likes

Same with their follow up “Absolute Shit Show”

2 Likes

IDK: as things go, GOP congresscritter disrespects the capitol building is not really something I care much about.
It’s possibly the least odious negative act of the GOP this month.

It’s dumb because of safety or potential damage to the building, but if holding a picnic in the capitol reinforces that it is a building for the use of the public, not a sacred temple for the national cult, I’m for it. Not clutching my pearls on the sanctity here.
Bring back Big Block of Cheese Day!

4 Likes

That’s some real Tholos-level shit!

2 Likes

oh, snap!

oh… you said Tholos. my bad

2 Likes

Referenced here:

Rather small, and even if the Capitol complex wasn’t so paranoid about “security”. not capacious enough to satisfy demand.

yes. thank you.
(i actually understood that reference).
i am never as clever as i think i am.
(certainly not… inevitable.)

2 Likes

I

It’s significant only in that it demonstrates yet again that being a modern Republican means being an arrogant, self-serving asshole. As always, imagine the outrage if a Dem had thus affronted the sacred temple. The more of these petty hypocrisies pile up the more likely it is (I hope!) that some people will get fed up with these Congressbozos and call them for what they are. A small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

3 Likes