GOP lawmaker in Kansas says black people "responded the worst" to marijuana because of "genetics" and "character makeup"

On a technical basis they are, but on a practical one they are not. Industrial use hemp contains so little active components that it cannot be used to get high.

It’s like comparing Bell peppers and Ghost peppers. Both are peppers and on paper you’d say they are the same, but you could not on a practical level consider them to be really comparable.

9 Likes

or, in Kansas, it appears to be a reason to be voted into office.

3 Likes

There is only one problem with Kansas … from which all their other problems flow. All the smart people born there left. I was born and raised in Kansas. I only go “home” for holidays.

6 Likes

And what I remember best about Kansas is its special kid of racism that looks great on paper (desegregated schools, affirmative action), but is extremely separatist in practice (gated or economically segregated white enclaves, etc.).

5 Likes

images

12 Likes

Again, I feel I must say that the conservative old people they got nowadays sure ain’t as good as the ones we had when I was a kid.

Criminalization is what makes a “gateway drug” a gateway drug. Young people use it, discover that it does not destroy their lives and sanity, and then wonder what other drugs they’ve been lied to about. We have literally taught young people to disregard warnings about drugs – what information about them can they trust beyond their personal experience? It has been a most costly and perilous stance and many of us have lost good friends to it.

7 Likes

Oh the gated communities, yeah there’s Tall Grass which even the poors (white) aren’t allowed unless offered a job cleaning up the houses.

4 Likes

Alford is sorry, as in the phrase “a sorry excuse for a human being”.

He has now resigned (encouraged or forced) from several committee chair positions, so it appears that the Kansas House is at least taking him to task.

Is stupidity the gateway drug for politics?

Steve Alford, Kansas legislator, resigns committee leadership after remarks about black people’s marijuana use
http://cjonline.com/news/state-government/local/2018-01-09/steve-alford-kansas-legislator-resigns-committee-leadership#

10 Likes

Maybe he thinks the old 'It must be true or they would not have been allowed to make the movie" trope.

Bet he thinks the original "Birth of a Nation " movie was a documentary.

I am stunned there are people outside of mental institutions and homes for dementia sufferers that can utter things like he did with a straight face and full consent of the will.

5 Likes

No it isn’t, dude.

https://www.google.com/search?q=is+hemp+marijuana

I have to agree, Wichita was a pit of soul-sucking mediocrity. It was like living in rural Ohio WHILE IN A CITY, with much shittier weather and even dumber state laws.

Gary, Indiana, however, remains as the worst city in the nation, as it ever shall. ptui

1 Like

“Marijuana” originally referred only to the psychoactive strains of cannabis. It was a “foreign-sounding” term that was invented by the US gov’t., in fact, as part of the campaign to use and refer to MJ in strongly racially-tinged ways, i.e. “The brown/black men will smoke reefer and rape all the white women” tropes.

Notes: This is also true the other way 'round; marijuana gives inferior fiber to hemp and less of it, although the seeds are often comparable for food/fuel/plastic uses, if you’re willing to convert valuable MJ seeds xD.

Another interesting thing is that hempen beer is actually pretty good, in my opinion.

3 Likes

‘Hemp’ and ‘marijuana’ are the same species of plant (Cannabis sativa) . They’re just names for two different phenotypes of the plant, selectively bred by humans for different purposes — hemp for fiber, marijuana for psychoactive resin.

Does that make them “the same thing”?

Well, consider: Cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and kale are all the same species of plant (Brassica oleracea). They’re just names for different phenotypes of the plant, selectively bred by humans for different purposes.

In most places, MJ and hemp aren’t legally the same thing, but where the law draws the line between low-resin/high-fiber ‘hemp’ and high-resin/low-fiber ‘marijuana’ is arbitrary, and varies between jurisdictions.

7 Likes

I haven’t been in Gary for years but it was bad then and probably hasn’t gotten any better.

2 Likes

I think countries like the US have never had to come to terms with the fascist elements that always existed in the cultures, so they’ve never been dealt with properly. A particular form of their expression would become politically unacceptable (because, for example, a war was being fought against a country that shared those views), and they would shift forms to something else for a while. Until someone like Trump comes along and makes them acceptable again.

6 Likes

It hasn’t. I drove back through a few years ago, on my (re)migration to western WA. Yeah… I’d rather live dab-smack in central-crack-alley-Florida. In a trailer. With roaches. GOD what a pit!

1 Like

And just at the moment when the war or other consequence is leaving the realm of living memory.

2 Likes

What is the difference between Gary and “Crack Alley” except warmer and more humid air? (says the guy living in KCMO)

It’s physically even uglier, plus FAR more polluted/contaminated, esp. with dioxins and PCBs (hard as that may be to believe). It’s also the greyest city I have ever seen, including photos of the excesses of the former Eastern Bloc’s “brutalism”-and-concrete industrial wasteland.

The absolute best part of Steven King’s “The Stand”, was when “The Trashcan Man” razes Gary to the ground in an explosive inferno.

2 Likes

It’s been years since i’ve read that book, might have to revisit it some day.

1 Like