GOP lawmaker in Kansas says black people "responded the worst" to marijuana because of "genetics" and "character makeup"

Gary, Indiana what a depressing, mind numbing place. Not been ther in years. I agree about that fire bomb. Eastern WA is amazing, congratulations you won that lottery.

1 Like
4 Likes

Hah, I was born/raised in Wichita so I know it’s pretty bad. Sadly, it’s mostly because the rich and middle class there don’t think their politics stink. So they keep doling out more extreme folks since Dan Glickman (who was pretty much center-right in US political terms but lost to Tiahart of all folks). It’s sad because the city itself is probably more liberal than most other cities in Kansas. It just happens to be there’s enough evangelicals and rich folks to offset with their naive worldviews.

4 Likes

Exactly so. That weird little “richville” enclave (with their own, special-bought, small-town-racist-pig cops, even) right in the center was just… I’m at a loss for words.

1 Like

Don’t read the unedited version! I tried that and immediately found out that King’s editor was damn good; King tends towards literary elephantiasis, so to speak ^^’ …

1 Like

I’m fairly sure i’ve read the unabridged version and i found it to be quite enjoyable, i’ve read a lot of his work so i’m familiar with his problem with verbal diarrhea (direct quote from himself from his book On Writing). The Stand from what i recall didn’t ramble on too much, at least i don’t remember it being more of a chore to read than the book IT which i find particularly boring.

1 Like

The EDITED version was roughly 850 pages, and the unedited version was over 1,500, IIRC and much less tightly-written.

Read both unabridged; loved both for different reasons.

King does get very loquacious, but he’s usually good at tying all his narrative threads back into one cohesive tale.

How verbose he gets doesn’t bother me, IT didn’t work for me because it just didn’t seem very cohesive but The Stand is likely one of the best things he’s ever written. Related i’ve been curious about checking out the graphic novel adaptation of The Stand but never got around to it. Have you read his book On Writing? It’s really phenomenal and i would really like for him to do a follow up of sorts.

I own some of the DT graphic novels, but not the Stand.

Only bits and pieces here and there, the same as Danse Macabre; I’m less enthused about King’s non-fiction.

I found it pretty interesting, less about getting tips about writing but i liked the autobiographical elements in it and having some background about certain points in his life and how that produced particular works he put out. I don’t know if his writing methodology might apply to most aspiring writers, maybe? I don’t write for pleasure or work so that part of On Writing was lost on me.

Just out of curiosity, which part of Wichita?

We started on S Crestway in 1971, a couple of houses from Pawnee, but moved across town to the Westlink neighborhood. My mom later moved out past 21st and Maize.

I would guess he got like way too high his first time and immediately watched it.

1 Like

All over the town. From 17th North and Market to 53rd South and Hydraulic. My dad always found a way to tick off the landlord where we lived so in every few years we moved. Now I’m in Minneapolis due to their not being much work (and being trans in a Red State is just not a healthy proposition).

3 Likes

“because the reason was a bunch of fucking racist bullshit…”

And making an accussation like this didn’t ring any bells saying that mmmm… just maybe the responsible (and credible) thing to do is back up the statement with more than hyperbole? I’m open to the idea being true; or I would be if I was shown anything that supported it.

2 Likes

No, I’m certain his accusation didn’t “ring any bells”, because it’s the direct truth, which you could have found with a simple Google search: https://www.google.com/search?q=why+was+marijuana+criminalized. You can directly thank Harry Anslinger’s racist fears for the criminalization of marijuana.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/dope/etc/cron.html

In fact, the very word “marijuana” was part of this campaign, to make it sound as if those “evil Mexicans” (sounds uncomfortably similar to current events, no?) were going to flood the country with “the devil weed”.

9 Likes

Wow.

Unfuck that guy, unfuck anyone actually defending the stupidity that he let leak out of his mouth, and unfuck Harry fucking Anslinger, and all his bigoted bullshit propaganda.

Hopefully he’s burning in Hell right now and some demon is using his eternal incineration to light up a giant, dank-ass spliff.

14 Likes

Ah yes, all those pinko, commie, pacifist, brother-killing, violent hoardes that are also sluts and entertainers.

7 Likes

I know, right? That’s some serious muthafucking multitasking, right there…

11 Likes