GOP leaders grovel to Trump as impeachment hopes fade

Can we ask for a redo of the whole thing?

2 Likes

Ever increasing health problems?

6 Likes

Conviction, not impeachment. Trump has already been impeached. Twice.

Right? If anything they have shown they are very, very good at the long game. The seeds of modern “conservatism” were planted in the early 1960s and have bloomed like crazy in the past 40 years. I question if the current path is sustainable, but I’m well prepared to be shocked and disappointed with the right-leaving populace continuing to go along with all this bullshit. Despite it having really nothing to do with so-called “conservative principles” and everything to do with racism and power for the few who can afford it.

12 Likes

Hence his probable secret pocket pardon.

Every day I wait for the NY AG to slap cuffs on the mtherfkr to no avail. They’ve had years to work the case and yet crickets…

4 Likes

I still cannot figure out how his team convinced supporters that Russian interference was no big deal:

13 Likes

Oh dear. What the hell is the matter with these people? Trump is now a nobody (he always was, really, but no-one in his inner circle admitted it). No power - nothing! Why back off? The guy is a menace to all humanity and the sooner he is dispatched to the political wasteland, the better…

1 Like

Nothing but a substantial cult following and control over the GoP.

That’s something I guess.

6 Likes

I think they are working on it, but they are busy actually doing their jobs rather than grandstanding. I think that’s a good thing, because it shows they want to get it right and actually do care about justice and the law.

Yeah, I know. I think it’s the shift n perceptions in white supremacist circles about the Russians - that they are the vanguard of white civilization now. I think there are some stories about that, which I can try and find later on…

10 Likes

Over to you New York prosecutors. Put his ass in jail (it can double up as The Donald Trump Presidential Library) so he’s too busy sewing mailbags to run the GOP.

1 Like

They’re still doing a lot of discovery and evidence gathering. Especially considering they’re reportedly working with the Manhattan DA and SDNY. They only recently got one of the trump failsons deposed.

8 Likes

A couple months ago everyone was talking about how Trump would be fleeing the country about now to avoid all the state-level charges that would immediately be leveled at him as soon as he was out of office. So, um… is NOBODY at all interested in holding him accountable for anything whatsoever? That’s it, he walks free without so much as an inconvenience for his crimes? I pretty much expected it, but the people here fervently insisting that nobody is untouchable almost had me feeling a bit of hope.

7 Likes

Nice use of underused word.

These bastards- no quarter. Destroy the filibuster, and trample their political corpses. I want to see an America so liberal these people flee for Venezuela.

They are going to set a precedent of allowing the president to get away with whatever they want, and become a get-out-of-jail-free card.

It needs to end

8 Likes

I admire your optimism but let’s be real: they’d be calling Pence a RINO traitor and valorizing themselves before his head even hit the basket.

5 Likes

They can’t get 50 votes? I mean, Joe Manchin is an ass, but I doubt he will act the spoiler on that particular subject.

2 Likes

My understanding is that a conviction with 2/3 of the senate is required before they can move on with a follow-up simple majority vote on whether to prevent the impeached individual from holding future office. Do you have a source that describes the process differently?

3 Likes

Both prevailing interpretation and precedent.

6 Likes

I guess there are some folks out there clinging to legal theories that it’s somehow possible to impose the penalty without the conviction, but reputable legal pundits like Ken White have dismissed that as wishful thinking.

5 Likes

I would flip that equation around though. Disqualification without conviction has a 2-0 record in the precedent.

2 Likes

Not the 67 required to convict. But maybe we’re talking about two different things at this point?

1 Like

To wit:

What’s really wonderful about this is the property in question is the only place they really consider home. Wouldn’t it make a lovely state park?

7 Likes