GOP leaders grovel to Trump as impeachment hopes fade

Simple majority for disqualification from holding federal office. Precedent, applied successfully twice by the Senate, is that disqualification is a separate vote than conviction and is not dependent upon it.

5 Likes

Is that right? Well, well then.

ETA: I imagine that’s separate from impeachment procedures, then. The Constitution rolls up removal and disbarment in the same sentence, so there must be another mechanism I’m unaware of.

EETA: Ok, did some snooping and I see what you’re citing as precedent. I don’t understand how it’s seen as separate from removal via impeachment. Do you have any citations that would illuminate me?

1 Like

Ivanka is planning a Senate run, not for governor. Governors usually have to do some actual work, which senators do not. Also she and Jared aren’t about to live in Tallahassee.

3 Likes

He Who Shall Not Be Named has become the Godfather of the GOP.
This shouldn’t surprise anyone, nor should the power he still wields.
I don’t see him forming another party, since he has been busy reforming the GOP in his own image.
If anything, the Old Guard will be the ones splintering off & forming a new/old party.
I do net expect him to be convicted in the Senate impeachment trial, so the best we can hope for is State-level charges… even then, I wouldn’t bet on conviction(s), much less jail time.
Maybe they can RICO the bastid and/or use CAF on him… ain’t holding my breath…

As for his enablers/sycophants/toadies/etc…
Well, when he is acquitted in the Senate, then we will have a list of names to go with the one from the votes in the House. These people must be expelled from office!

I don’t see that happening with the current ‘leadership’ on the D side of the aisle, or from the White House. They don’t seem to understand what they are up against:
People that see compromise as weakness, and intend to do anything in order to win. They have made clear the rules of the game they are playing & make no bones about the regard they hold their opponents, or the fate they wish for them…
They have no use for Democracy. They intend to rule!

1 Like

I linked the Justia article a few posts up.

It’s not a separate process, just a separate vote.

“All those in favor of conviction, say ‘aye’.”

“Opposed?”

“All those in favor of disqualification, say ‘aye’.”

“Opposed?”

All it takes is 50 votes plus VP for the latter.

7 Likes

Hmm, interesting. Other outlets/pundits seem to think a conviction is required before disbarment, but this seems to indicate that the parliamentarian perspective is that they are independent. Plenty to think about, thanks!

1 Like

Never trust pundits, even well-meaning ones. Just imagine if you could go to Vegas and bet against everything they predicted about 45 starting five years ago.

Jeff Bezos would be mowing your lawn right now.

4 Likes

With that lazy eye? He’d never cut a straight row.

2 Likes

This is a “never forgive, never forget” moment. Sure, they grovel but that’s nothing new, it’s only more out there and the apparent object of it seems more disgusting than usual, because it has a face and name. Usually it’s the writhing masses of ignorants, lovingly enslaved, and greedy tools that they grovel to, however obliquely. If that base could be seen for what they are, in comparison the Tridiot would look like the hapless privileged idiot that he is. Still, the tool have the power here, and have ceded it to the grovelers, as long as they keep groveling. The moment though is something completely else. If we abandon our obligation to bring judgment on them (one way or another) for Jan 6, forgiving/forgetting as we whine about our hands being tied one way or another, we are also the tool, ceding our power just the same.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Watch Biden pardon all the capital rioters to “heal the nation”.

1 Like

Au contraire. 14th Amendment, Section 3:

No Person shall … hold any office, civil or military, under the United States … who, having previously taken an oath, … as an officer of the United States, … to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.

This takes a majority vote in both houses, but requires a 2/3 vote to overturn. It’s plan B, and it’s a somewhat dangerous precedent to set, but then so was the mass assassination attempt by the leader of the executive branch against the legislative branch.

Frankly, I think a lot of us hoped this would be a wakeup call to the Republican party, which when it is a functional party is an important political counterweight. It has long since ceased being a functional political party, though, and the willingness of these spineless boobs to slink back to a disgraced ex-president who tried to kill them further cements that view.

5 Likes

Sorry, are you saying that people can be (have been) disqualifed from holding office as a result of the impeachment process without being convicted in impeachment proceedings?

If so, where do you get that information from? The justia page you linked to emphatically does not say that and I’m not aware of any such precedents.

There is of course the 14th Amendment stuff @mcsnee lists but that is a different thing to what I understood you to be suggesting.

2 Likes

If and when he does something like that, it’ll be worth criticizing him.

Until he does that, maybe give him a chance.

2 Likes

I think you forgot the /s.
I don’t see him pardoning anyone involved in the Insurrection.
I hope he (or rather, his AG) goes full-throttle into prosecuting all those involved in the planning, financing & execution of it; the foot-soldiers are relatively unimportant & it is doubtful they will all be dealt with… but cut off the head & the body will die.
Facebook & Twitter should be charged with aiding & abetting and dealt with accordingly.
And the Congresscritters that enabled this need to be expellled; anything less will insure that this happens again.

4 Likes

It makes it clear that the disqualification vote is a simple majority, separate from the 2/3 vote to remove. If removal is moot (since the subject is no longer in office), then disqualification is the only measure left, and is a separate, simple majority vote. No?

I mean, republicans themselves are making the point that removal is no longer relevant, so why have a trial? The only answer is disqualification.

Clear as mud. It’s never been constitutionally tested that a simple majority could decide to bar from public office without a supermajority conviction. All the talk about this disqualification scenario seems like a lot of wish fulfillment.

2 Likes

I just don’t get why everyone is giving this shitweasel the benefit of the doubt. I wouldn’t even call a vote to convict at this point if I were Schumer. Just call the vote to disqualify. Simple majority wins.

Then pack the fucking court so that it holds up. Let’s face it: even in far more civilized societies than the USA, Trump would have already been tossed in a deep dark hole or faced a firing squad.

ETA: This is how he’s coasted so far in his life. It takes 2 steps for 45 to get what he wants: 1. He finds a loophole and exploits it. 2. The people who should be fucking holding him accountable see the loophole and let him through it.

It’s that simple.

HOLD HIM ACCOUNTABLE.

broadchurch-angry-as-me

6 Likes

Two weeks ago, the office of the presidency (not to mention the might of the DOJ) allowed Trump and his ilk to simply ignore subpoenas and court orders. Even the New York investigation into the Trump Organization is just now finally getting started in earnest. It will take some time to build cases, but I still believe that, ten years from now, everyone will agree that impeachment was the least of his legal worries after leaving office.

2 Likes

All of the articles I’m looking at are saying things like, “This is uncharted territory,” or, “Legal experts disagree/are unsure about whether it is possible to hold a vote for disqualification from office without first convicting in an impeachment trial,” so my take on this is: “It looks like we’re about to find out if it can be done.”

Personally, I don’t want to see him barred from office…I want to see him spend the rest of his life in prison, and we won’t get there through impeachment.

1 Like