GOP Ohio lawmaker: 'African Americans or the colored population' get coronavirus because they 'do not wash their hands as well as other groups'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/11/gop-ohio-lawmaker-african-a.html

9 Likes

They cannot help themselves from having a preposterous thought and sharing it.

16 Likes

And this guy is an ER doctor.

You’d think that his diagnostic skills were better than that.

21 Likes

29 Likes

That’s like saying black people (oh, excuse me, the “colored population”*) is more likely to die in officer involved shootings because they are allergic to lead.

*Dude, the 1950s called, and even they do not want you back

27 Likes

I’ve allegedly heard that Sen. Steve Huffman is a literal sentient piece of shit

11 Likes

Ohio has him because they don’t wash their hands as well as the other states.

30 Likes

Friendly reminder this guy has a constituency and they will likely re-elect him.

Partially because the system has made the voices of the awful get amplified if they are able to keep the goods coming (or enough to make you just that much better off than the other guy) and have de-suffraged the other guy.

There may be a non-pology involved also.

And if he’s not re-elected, take a look at his replacement and see if they’re just better at hiding their evil.

3 Likes

… Hey, Steve, from what I saw the majority of people making the news by railing against wearing masks and wanting to cram back into hair salons, restaurants, and Trump rallies have been fucking white people, you giant racist dick.

18 Likes

WHAT!?!?!? Guess this dude doesn’t know about black people and wash cloths!

7 Likes

Having an advanced degree and training in the medical field doesn’t mean one can’t be a racist jackass.

23 Likes

And of course this district is gerrymandered all to hell.

17 Likes

“colored population”

Oh, you meant dark-skinned color. Not tangerine orange, pasty white, lobster red, or any of the “normal” colors.

Jack-hole.

12 Likes

“Colored”? How old is this guy? 112 years old?

20 Likes

Well, he does have direct-hand experience working with communities of color:

“ The racial makeup of the city was 95.9% White, 0.6% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.5% Asian, 0.7% from other races, and 1.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.6% of the population.”

Edited to clean up text.

1 Like

Seriously? I shudder for my profession. There are assholes, no doubt, but wow, that is out there. Unfortunately, I doubt this is his first “insensitive” comment, and it probably will not cost him any votes.

12 Likes

Once again a town in Ohio very close to where I grew up makes boingboing for the most embarrassing reason. Tipp City is actually a pretty nice little town, if a little conservative for my pro-RATM taste, but I would be genuinely surprised if there are any residents there of any color besides “transparent.” This guy, despite what I’m sure are good intentions, is an embarrassment - and also relatively typical for the area.

5 Likes

Ironically white male fragility killed a ton of women unnecessarily because they couldn’t dare think their educated hands were dirty.

A doctor figure out that going from rummaging in a corpses guts to helping deliver a child significantly raised the chance of infection and death after child birth. If a midwife assisted in birth, they had a much better death rate. He published his theory, hypothesizing there were little particles on the hands from the cadavers.

Of course this was before germ theory, so everyone though he was a crack pot. It took I think another 50+ years before it was discovered he was right (that time might be off, going by memory.)

9 Likes

I’m not of the opinion that petitions tend to do much, but… http://chng.it/qvJnjNSt9G

Dr. Semmelweis was ostracized by his profession and died broke in an insane asylum for his “crime.”

And then they eventually realized he was right.

21 Likes