Ohio state senator asked if “the colored population” gets Covid-19 more often because they "do not wash their hands as well as other groups"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/11/ohio-state-senator-asked-if.html

2 Likes

Colored?! At least he didn’t say negroes. AND he’ll probably get reelected.

15 Likes

REBOING:

17 Likes

Which colour? I need a chart, because clearly there is a gradation of cleanliness based on shade. Just get me that, and I can make my own judgements, thank you very much!

Oh wait, he was just singling out Blacks again. Damn.

3 Likes

Could it be that Republicans are full of shit because they don’t wipe their ass?

15 Likes

I actually assumed he was talking about Hispanics. He said “African Americans or the colored population” which I interpreted as two groups rather than two names for the same group. He also mentioned “not social distancing themselves” which sounds like stereotypes of Hispanics having huge families and large extended families living together or having gatherings. But I guess it could go either way and doesn’t really matter to the content of his message which is “if minorities have health problems, maybe it is because they are just stupid and lazy”.

7 Likes

Picard

15 Likes

Fuck this guy, and the horse he rode in on.

6 Likes

Friendly reminder that the Nazis used to portray Jews as slovenly and unclean to justify their eradication.

14 Likes

9 Likes

What a clanger - second only to Trump’s rants!

In fact, “unclean” has been a slur against outgroups going back as far as racism. There is likely no minority that has not had this charge leveled at them.

16 Likes

I could use that gif a dozen times a day lately.

2 Likes

Why is “people of color” good and “colored people” bad?

It mostly comes down to the history of usage. One has ties to a history of degrading treatment, while the other doesn’t.

8 Likes

One centers their humanity, the other centers their Otherness. It’s the same reason why “people with disabilities” is preferred over “disabled people”. They are more than their disability or the color of their skin. They’re people first.

15 Likes

It was a cringey question asked in a cringey way. But at least someone has looked into it and was able to answer. If there is a disparity in infection that kills people, you have to check. If it were due to hand washing or mask wearing because of a failure to get the word out in affected communities, or access to masks, or some other reason, that would be good to know. There is actually some evidence that there is a difference in social distancing, but that seems to be a result of job/transportation disparity. And by knowing that, we can focus on making them safe.

Flame the guy for how he asked (inserting his own assumptions instead of just asking "Why the difference?). But at least he was trying to learn. How many others on the panel were too disinterested in the disparate effect on minorities to even ask? Don’t let them off the hook.

3 Likes

This guy doesn’t even look remotely old enough that “colored” would be common parlance for his generation.

I had an aunt (pretty dark skinned native Hawaiian) that used that phrase. Of course it was in the context of “me and the other colored kids used to have to use a separate water fountain”, because she was old enough, and had enough melanin to get classed as “colored” by the largely white society that she lived in after moving from Hawaii. But, for fuck’s sake, even she knew that it was an outdated phrase, and always explained it to us kids as “you know, that’s what they called us in those days. People don’t like that word much nowadays.”. Except, apparently, if you’re a white senator from Ohio…

Of course, this is the same state where Congresswoman Joyce Beatty, Franklin County Commissioner Kevin Boyce and Columbus City Council President Shannon Hardin were sprayed with pepper spray during a peaceful protest, so…

I’d love to think that this would lead to immediate consequences, but I’m not going to hold my breath.

2 Likes

Here are some alternatives for you… we all can use a good collection of facepalms and eyerolls courtesy of Star Trek…

tng-riker-eyeroll

tng-picard-eyeroll

tng-picard-facepalm

DS9-sigh-sisko

worf-facepalm

ds9-sisko-what

11 Likes

“Colored boy? Why you son of a …”

1 Like