Governor-elect Katie Hobbs sues Arizona county that refuses to certify election results

Originally published at: Governor-elect Katie Hobbs sues Arizona county that refuses to certify election results | Boing Boing

17 Likes

14 Likes

Republicans should just skip the middleman and refuse to participate in elections entirely. At least that’s what they’re signalling to their supporters.

50 Likes

The irony is that this intransigence is reasonably likely to result in more Democrats in office.

29 Likes

So, their attempts at disenfranchisement failed. This caused a large enough discrepancy that they couldn’t simply call the election the way they wanted to.

Both of which they found mighty irregular and they need more time to research how their schemes failed.

18 Likes

[Refusal to certify the election] would threaten to flip the victor in at least two close races, a US House seat and state schools chief, from a Republican to a Democrat.

38 Likes

Yes, but the problem is that is what happens this time. Next time, it might be different and a different county/set of counties could refuse to certify, thus changing who actually gets elected for any other position.

It’s a slippery slope that gets very bad very quick.

26 Likes

Oh, absolutely. This is a long-game thing for them. Lose a bit here, but set the precedent for big gains elsewhere.

15 Likes

I don’t suppose that the recalcitrant officials in Cochise county are smart enough to have noticed that this sort of shenanigan is frowned upon by the courts, as Trump so abundantly demonstrated two years ago.

25 Likes

The takeaway that every media outlet ought to be hammering home right now is that the Democratic Secretary of State is fighting to protect the voting rights of Republicans.

It’s often said that Republicans act against their own best interests but rarely so brazenly and directly.

42 Likes

I believe that they call this ‘5D chess’.

14 Likes

Or just that Democrats really, really suck at cheating.

7 Likes

If I read the linked article correctly, this is more serious than it seems.

If Cochise county doesn’t canvass (provide results) before the deadline, those votes are disregarded by law, which would be enough to flip the election to Lake. I hope I’m interpreting that incorrectly.

5 Likes

It won’t flip the governor to Lake according to the article but affects a local and House race.

17 Likes

I don’t think so. Cochise county is right leaning, being rural and home to Ft Huachuca. My brother lives there, I’m sure that his wife cancels out his vote.

4 Likes

I just re-read both articles linked, and did not see that claim. Can you clarify where you saw that?

6 Likes

I think that county is heavily Republican.

Edit:

5 Likes

The fun part, if this happens, will be seeing how they will twist reality to somehow make it the Dem’s fault that “we had to do it because they made us” sort of thing.

Pop Corn GIF by WWE

6 Likes

The governor results were…
Kari Lake 27,481
Katie Hobbs 19,137

I need Steve Kornacki to white board the numbers but if they back out those numbers Hobbs wins by a bigger margin.

Here are all the numbers from that county.

https://www.cochise.az.gov/DocumentCenter/View/10176/Cumulative-Report-PDF

7 Likes

It was my interpretation of this:

The state elections director, Kori Lorick, wrote in a letter last week that Hobbs was required by law to approve the statewide canvass by next week and would have to exclude Cochise county’s votes if they weren’t received in time.

That would threaten to flip the victor in at least two close races, a US House seat and state schools chief, from a Republican to a Democrat.

Seems like I was wrong though, for which I am glad.

12 Likes