Governor-elect Katie Hobbs sues Arizona county that refuses to certify election results

Happy cake day, doc!

7 Likes

Who said anything about heavily? And if you knew the outcome of each election just by looking at the party of the county supervisors at that time, why bother to have elections?

In Arizona specifically, Maricopa was Republican-controlled in the 2020 elections, and ended up voting Democratic. It was actually news when Maricopa certified the 2020 election, because people were scared they wouldn’t.

If Maricopa were in the same scenario and had had the precedent of another county refusing to certify, they may have gone that route.

The reason election-denying county supervisors is so scary is precisely because we can’t say they’ll just be confined to areas that will vote red in future elections.

3 Likes

I don’t think that follows. If the BoS is an elected body, then it’s gonna follow the political make-up of the county. I live in a heavily democratic district, and am thus represented by Democrats, because that’s who we elected…

Which shows that the county is changing in political orientation maybe?

I don’t think they would have if there had been consequences for not certifying, which is what is happening in this case. The county is being sued by the SOS to certify.

And this is why it is on the state-wide officials to uphold the law. In this case, it is crystal clear what needs to happen, and it’s not, so the SOS is stepping in.

And again, only ONE party has been pulling these games, and it’s not even the entire party doing it.

9 Likes

But Maricopa was red in 2018, so the BoS counting the 2020 votes was red, even though Maricopa voted blue in 2020. That’s exactly what I’m saying. My point is we’re lucky Maricopa decided to uphold the rule of law without a fight in 2020. They were debating not going so. Had they had prior precedent, like this county is trying to create, they might not have done the right thing.

Precisely. Which is why it’s so important that BoS continue to follow the law and we squash any attempt to create precedent when election boards refuse to certify elections. We can’t just say it doesn’t matter because “why would it happen” in a county that votes blue. We want more red counties to turn blue, and this means sometimes Republican supervisors will be in charge of certifying Democratic victories.

I’m so confused that this is an argument, we must just be taking past each other.

2 Likes

Kari Lake would like someone to get arrested for her. I wonder is she’ll pay the legal bills.

“But I wish that somebody would say, ‘You know what? Arrest me then. I don’t care,’” Lake remarked. “We need people with courage to say, ‘Class what felony? Go ahead, go for it, arrest me because this is a botched election and you’re disenfranchising the folks in Mohave County when you allow this kind of election in Maricopa County to stand.’”

6 Likes

Okay, but the SoS is working to shut down the attempt in THIS county, so the precedent is that any attempts at this shit gets shut down.

Which sounds like we agree, so why are we arguing again?

Happens sometimes in text based discussions. I think we’re in agreement here… :+1:

6 Likes

While the Maricopa BoS is mostly Republicans, they are not Trumpists and have pushed back against the Legislature’s conspiracy-fueled agenda. Gates and Hickman are good examples. They and the Republican County Recorder have publicized a great deal of information about how secure and reliable their elections have been.

The key is that the Supes know they owe their election to the suburbs. If they are tempted to go off the rails, they will be shown the door at the last election.

I am not aware of any stories suggesting the Maricopa Recorder and/or Supes had any inclination to refuse to certify election results in 2020. Do you have a source for that?

3 Likes

This is all just a test. Please do not attempt to adjust your television.

3 Likes

(excerpt) So, either Hobbs is a fair-minded, law-following straight shooter or … she really, really stinks at cheating.

Trumpers still think she cheated… and they despise fair-minded, law-following straight shooters.

5 Likes
12 Likes

It just hurts so much not being able to disenfranchise all the voters in my county!

12 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.