Graham Nash and India Arie quit Spotify over Rogan's disinformation

Originally published at: Graham Nash and India Arie quit Spotify over Rogan's disinformation | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Hopefully, Rogan will re-evaluate the formula he uses to balance dollars vs lives.

11 Likes

Pretty soon Spotify will only have Ted Nugent and Kid Rock - and Rogan of course.

25 Likes

I am sure there will be a flood of online support for these artists exercising their Constitutional rights to freedom of association.

28 Likes

Schitts Creek Good Luck GIF by CBC

25 Likes

I wish everybody I know on earth was brave enough to stop using Facebook. . . .

14 Likes

Freedom of speech has never been absolute, just ask the Secret Service, or anyone who survived a crowded theater where someone shouted “FIRE.”

Let’s imagine instead that Rogan was interviewing guests who said we could get super powers by eating radioactive waste. “Well, it worked for lots of superheroes right?” No. People would die. “But he’s just entertaining the idea that it could be true.” Except people are falling for it, and hospitals are overwhelmed, so there aren’t beds for car crashes or cancer patients.

We have freedom of travel, but that doesn’t mean we can break the speed limit or drive drunk.

16 Likes

And people calling you out for saying shitty things, and boycotting a platform that allows for misinformation and open bigotry, is not a violation of the first amendment, either. But it’s what bigots and assholes say to cover themselves and so they can continue to spread bigotry and hatred. The only entity that can violate the first amendment is the government. If a platform kicks someone off for being shitty, they have that right.

34 Likes

I suspect he would come out ahead if Spotify booted him. He’d go back to his own hosting – so no paywall for listeners – and keep the millions Spotify paid him.

4 Likes

Doesn’t mean it’s not the right thing to do…

13 Likes

Spotify could say “We made a mistake,” yank him off the air and see how much it really costs them. I guess they feel like they can’t survive it or they’ll be just fine going down this course. If they struck a contract with no outs for offensive behavior, etc – they really didn’t pay attention to the last 30 years.

20 Likes

Doubt

10 Likes

WARNING: We do not need the tête-à-tête.

6 Likes

You Betcha Anna Kendrick GIF

12 Likes

Up next…Taylor Swift. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

That is what it will take to get Spotify to act. Big names like Drake, the Bieb, and the Weeknd.* Then something would happen.

Or were you just hoping she’d leave? :grin:

_* I don’t really know who is a big name anymore, if I ever did.

Edits: I see I did some edits. I’m sure it was for the usual concision, clarity, typos.

3 Likes

“However, I find Joe Rogan problematic for reasons OTHER than his Covid interviews.”

I read you 5 x 5, ROGER THAT.

10 Likes

If Swift said she wanted her music off the platform, what are the odds that the owners of her back catalog would respect her wishes? I’m pretty sure those odds are zero. Although a lot of Swifties would follow her out.

3 Likes

Sadly they don’t care about these artists. The $ is just not large enough.

Now if someone could convince Ariana Grande or Taylor Swift or Adele to pull their catalog…

5 Likes

At this point in human history I’m happy to have anyone to cheer for.

12 Likes