Grandad trips up armed suspect running from cops

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/04/grandad-trips-up-armed-suspect.html

9 Likes

Finally, tripping for good.

7 Likes

Yup. Intentionally or incidentally, good on the grandad for saving the suspect from the cops.

17 Likes

That wouldn’t be so bad. It’s the summary execution of unarmed non-suspects that’s the problem.

5 Likes

Even an armed suspect shouldn’t be executed from behind while fleeing and not shooting. But the cops admit that’s what they would have done if the man hadn’t tripped him.

22 Likes

A good guy with a trip, I like it.

9 Likes

The video is titled “Fancy Footwork by a Good Samaritan”. I think they missed the point of the parable of the Good Samaritan.

2 Likes

Actually, they nailed the point of the Good Samaritan.

1 Like

Which was kicking ass and taking names?

Whether intentional or not, the “good samaritan” helped the suspect…likely saving his life.

2 Likes

By dressing his wounds and healing him. Somehow tripping someone running on brick paving and allowing them to be taken into custody doesn’t say “compassion and empathy” to me. Since the parable was being related by Jesus, I have to believe that the lesson wasn’t “violence in the service of law enforcement is a righteous act and you get bonus points for unintentionally, possibly, maybe preventing a person of color from being gunned down in the street.”

1 Like

This is a warped interpretation of both the parable and the video.

3 Likes

Unless you know the man involved, it’s impossible for you to know his motives. He may have been thinking nothing but compassion. No way for either of us to know. The event, like all of the parables of Jesus, is open to interpretation.

1 Like

Followup headline: “Armed suspect sues granddad for assault”

3 Likes

Every time I’ve ever tripped has been good.

3 Likes

Ok but often we infer people’s motives, especially on boingboing and if a grandad trips up someone running from police it seems most likely it’s because grandad thinks the police are good.

2 Likes

You’re free to make that assumption. Pardon me for not.

Really? Why’s that? Jesus spoke of compassion and the Samaritan parable was in the context of a discussion about mercy for all regardless of affiliations. I don’t see any mercy here except as an afterthought that says more about the state of our justice system than it does grandpa’s motivations.

Hey! Let’s argue just for the sake of arguing! Yay!

2 Likes

That’s not what’s happening. I pointed out that the use of “Good Samaritan” in the title is an odd choice and have been met with “no it’s not!” You stated that, intentional or not, the grandpa’s actions reflect the actions of the Samaritan. I disagree. It was precisely the Samaritan’s intent, in spite of the audience’s prejudices against Samaria that was substantive to the parable. Again, I see no mercy in his actions. I don’t argue and welcome reasoned debate, this just isn’t one.