Grandview Golf Club in York, Pa., calls cops to remove black members "playing too slowly"

Golf is a game, not a sport.

Oh, and bigots gonna bigot.

7 Likes

Apologies, but I would argue that the redistribution of land from the general public towards the wealthy has a whole lot to do with the fact that some wealthy groups being uncomfortable sharing land with those they had hoped to keep out. While this was a private course the same same sense of entitlement drives the belief that they have control over who can use what how. In a staggering sense of self importance they thought it reasonable to call the police due to the people in front of them golfing too slow.

in summary… I always turn down requests to join friends at the golf course. Now should they suggest we whack balls around an open field…!

I wonder if the course has ever called the cops on a white male doctor/lawyer/politician that was “playing too slow”.

The lead alpha douche was displaying frustration and aggression, there was a lot more going on in his head than just some players playing slow… something that courses manage constantly all day every day.

7 Likes

And that’s where the racism comes in. If it had been a foursome of white women, there might have been bitching and mumbling, but no cops. Cops are only there to teach those ****** ******* a lesson as to who’s boss.

8 Likes

They’re one of the best places to go shroom hunting, I’ll give them that.

1 Like

And nightcrawler picking!

1 Like

You’ve summed up why I refused so many invitations to attend golf seminars billed as empowerment/networking opportunities for women. Despite what the promoters of these events said about making the sport more inclusive and gaining access to influential people/business contacts, I suspected there would be backlash (subtle or blatant). I’d rather spend my time and money elsewhere.

3 Likes

I would presume not all courses have awful people, but lest me honest here. It’s a sport designed around leisure, and i would assume it would attract a higher number of elitist douche bags than other activities i could be doing. For me its a hard pass, if anyone else is really info golf then that’s awesome and i have nothing negative to say to them but i’d rather do just about anything else.

1 Like

You also captured how I feel about ski vacations. At least people don’t golf in freezing temperatures (I hope). As a way to network, seminars involved participants learning to play someone else’s game (on top of the many games we’re already forced to play in corporate offices), and paying for the temporary privilege of hanging out at their club. Neither of those things appealed to me.

Today, the only networking events I attend are in bars or restaurants. That way, everyone who attends has a good time.

1 Like

That’s a Venn diagram with quite an overlap, and then some.

3 Likes

This thread may be enlightening:

https://twitter.com/freeyourmindkid/status/987490871548567552?s=21

1 Like

Don’t dis our nation’s heritage.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.