Grandview Golf Club in York, Pa., calls cops to remove black members "playing too slowly"

I do think golf deserves to be attacked, but I take your point that attacking it at length here is a diversion from the topic at hand:

white guys assholes afraid of golfing black ladies.

8 Likes

This is the world trump supporters have given us. Thank you people like Susan Sarandon who would have voted for anybody but HRC, because she was such an awful person. Are you happy now? Are you all giddy with this? Fuck golf. With rare exception it is the epitome of white privilege.

1 Like

Or you could split the difference and do “municipal golf course” for people who love the game but hate the exclusivity, classism and racism that often accompanies it.

6 Likes

This is wrong. “Golf” needs to change.

I’d pinpoint it more specifically from 1992 (start of the dotcom boom/end of the Bush I recession) to 2008 (Bush II mortgage crash). During that time Americans felt more prosperous, even if much of it was an illusion. Speaking of illusions…

That’s part of the larger economic picture at the time, in which outsourcing and corner-cutting in manufacturing allowed people to pay a “bargain” price for shoddy garbage with a brand name slapped on it. It was a real “premium mediocre” mindset.

For someone who wants to get good at the sport (playing at least 2-3 times a week as opposed to your 1-2 times/year) and who wants the equipment to last, or for someone who’s into the whole status aspect, the quality of the equipment (especially the clubs) is very important. A set of quality clubs starts at $450 and can go for $1200 or more (quality putter and bag extra).

3 Likes

OK, there’s some real trouble here, but honestly, my first reaction was:

Pretty much, as with any kind of sportsball.

Still, that doesn’t mean it should be a hassle for members of certain races and/or genders to play it.

3 Likes

In neighborhoods where the politically connected live, the state buys the failing golf courses and turns them into wonderful public open spaces that are an undeniable social good.

In neighborhoods with lower average income, the politically connected previously mentioned buy up the courses and grind out some McBurbs as you say. Zoning laws are remarkably easy to change in such circumstances, at least compared to when anyone poor tries to get a zoning law revision…

At least, that’s how it works in Delaware.

2 Likes

11 Likes

But they had CLUBS!

4 Likes

Naw. Sorry man, but in cities too many public parks are turned into golf courses, and despite what you say about availability the land use goes from free to restricted with an entry fee. I’m not sure how it can be more clear that public golf courses are attempts to redistribute public land in the city to the wealthy.

2 Likes

Can’t we all just get along?

Oh…this involves country clubs and golf?

Never mind…

1 Like

A few observations from a reformed frequent golfer…

It was noted that the course was running behind due to frost. A big problem with most courses these days is overcrowding the tee schedule. Most courses schedule foursomes to go off every 8-10 mins and assume a rather fast pace of play. This is to maximize greens fees and cram as many players into the schedule as possible. A frost delay just backs everyone up even more.

The reality is the majority of golfers are hackers and duffers who shoot 100+. Slow pace of play due to inexperienced players is huge issue for semi-serious players. An 18 hole round should take about 4 hours but nowadays it’s more common to exceed 5+. Since golf is a game of tempo and rhythm, it’s very aggravating to be put off your game by a slow group ahead of you. Yes, you can (and should) ask to play through but most of the time the backups extend many groups so you really can’t jump ahead. Like a slow driver on a 2-lane highway holding up a line of cars, there’s nowhere else to go.

(Stereotype alert!) Many male golfers hate playing behind female groups. The assumption being female players are usually less experienced and slower. Yes, this is a problem and is totally not cool to gender-stereotype - but it’s a real thing and I see it all the time on courses. I’ve seen guys’ blood start to boil just at seeing they are being put behind a ladies foursome. Race may also be a factor but my bet is this incident was primarily gender induced. (just to be clear - I am in no way condoning this attitude. Just stating it is prevalent.)

The club owner and his son are colossal pricks and deserve every bit of derision they get. The proper way to handle this is to work with the course marshal to either encourage the forward group to play faster or let others play through. Calling the cops is a total dick move and they should be banned from the course.

Contrary to popular belief, most regular golfers are not drunken assholes. It’s a challenging game and in order to get any good at all it requires dedication, practice and regular play (2-3x a week minimum). I cannot play a serious round drunk and most of the time I do not drink at all. I save the beer for the 19th hole.

1 Like

Wow, I played too slow once (with my kids) and the official in the cart instructed me to let the group behind me play through on the next hole. Since when do we start calling the fucking cops on everyone?! If someone called the cops on me for a minor golf infraction like this I would also be livid and I would hope once the cops got there they would just laugh at the people for wasting their time, maybe even ticket them for it.

Here’s my new idea, a second level of cops we can call on people who call the cops on others for stupid shit. They can review the situation at tell the first cops to not show up. As stupid as that sounds I feel a lot of these situations could be avoided. “Hey, you ate the last piece of pizza, I’m calling the cops!!” “WTF, I’m calling the super cops you dumb ass”

2 Likes

Well, not everyone…

4 Likes

“We”?

Scared white people often do it when “confronted” by the “threat” of someone whose “crime” is the mere fact that they’re wearing black skin.

4 Likes

Can there really be said to be such a thing as an active golf game though? I mean, Fantasy Sports 3 excepted…

1 Like

And exactly what does that have to do with these ladies being racially profiled and discriminated against?

oh…that’s right. nothing. Thank you for being off topic.

Golf itself is a great game. I rarely play it, but my father has enjoyed it for 70 years, and he is the furthest thing from a racist asshole.

That said, there can be a strong overlapping Venn diagram of elitist/racist/sexist/rich in many golf clubs. Ditto other sports that have a significant money component, including (to my horror) hockey.

1 Like

I have always said, if there’s no one in front of you and seven cars behind you - you are the problem.