Great Danes kill their owner

The conspiracy is made up of normal, regular-sized cats.

Giant cats have other things to worry about.

9 Likes

Same here. It’s not like I’m going to feel anything.

7 Likes

Haha, I just today listened to Nick Lowe’s “Marie Provost”, about a forgotten actress who died alone and was munched by her dachshunds a few days before being found. True story, too.

4 Likes

Justice for Rosecrantz and Guildenstern!

2 Likes

1000 likes for this. I’m the opposite of the poster, the bigger the dog the more relaxed I am. I trust big dogs on sight and the sets up nice positive feedback loop. Mostly I just avoid dogs like the plague, they’re all lethal to me and my ridiculously severe dog allergy :grinning:

8 Likes

More ‘wanting’ than ‘trying’ I would think.

1 Like

Some dogs have an increased genetic likelyhood of aggression, because some people are more concerned about the purity of the breed than the health of the dogs.

@OWYAC

My grandma had a springer spaniel that had a rage syndrome attack when I was around him when I was a child. I wasn’t attacked, but he suddenly went after my grandad’s mild tempered labrador and had to be pulled off him. I still have a fear of dogs from that.

13 Likes

I, for one, am happy that not every post is about guns.
I enjoy the eclectic mix (random nonsense) of the topics here.

8 Likes

An Irish Setter? And it bit someone? I grew up with Irish Setters, and the harshest reaction any of them have ever had to anything intimidating is usually to wilt and cry at you. They’re like, the exact opposite of a guard dog, in every way imaginable.

Doesn’t mean it wouldn’t lash out if injured.

5 Likes

No seriously, had a kid literally fall down stairs onto one of them, broke it’s leg, and it just sat there crying and looking like it didn’t know why they were mad at it.

One dog is not everyone other of it’s kind. Some might not lash out, but many will.

5 Likes

Poorly treated and trained dogs may lash out, but beyond that, you should not accuse the majority of them of having the behaviour of what may at most amount to less than a single percentage of the population. You’re considerably more in danger from the average human around you than from the average dog. If you can’t trust yourself around dogs, stay away from them, for their sake.

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

yeah… never mind.

12 Likes

Something to keep in mind next time I’m at the chimpanzee breeders’. What?
Are there hangers-on to the early space program who keep speed-dialing space agencies asking how many they’ll need and when? Is it an alternative to ‘Owner Occupied’ for shiny real estate to have it full of chimps, and they connect the phone all set to call decorators over?
Do you just have to get one if you’re an Early Career Researcher in Translational Hominid Studies?

11 Likes

Dude, ANY dog could do what that setter did.

Actually you’re right about one thing, a human could “lash out” violently as a reflexive form of self-defense too if you struck a nerve or something. But you know, a human’s bite isn’t like a dog’s bite. :wink:

Trust yourself? I described damage wrought by a large animal’s reflexive reaction. My point is more to be careful around them, to NOT assume that because they’re friendly and have never hurt a flea nor fly, they’re harmless. They’re not.

12 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

That’s not a slam on dogs, either. It’s just a fact. Dogs are good boys and girls, it’s true… but that doesn’t mean that they can’t cause real damage and we should acknowledge that. If people understood that, we might have less people who end up abusing their dogs in the first place…

14 Likes

And the Goldens that I’m seeing on rescue sites generally have aggression problems, I think because they are being bred for looks rather than temperament these days. I grew up with a Golden, and have had two as an adult, but my current dog is an Australian Cattle Dog cross that I got when she was 8, and she is an angel in a dog suit. I will probably look for a mature Cattle Dog again, when it comes time for another dog, and sadly steer clear of Goldens.

5 Likes

You’re right. human bites tend to be full of nasty infectious bacteria that dog bites don’t have, but also most of the humans that randomly violently lash out with much higher frequency (ie: multiple orders of magnitude more frequency, to the point that a statistician would call one non-existent compared to the other) than dogs tend to use things like guns, or other weapons. Frankly, the injuries are (again, statistically speaking) much worse from human attacks as well. For every person with horrible scars left by a dog, there are at least a thousand people with worse scars left by a human.

And that was in response to someone else (the person it was quoted from) - if you find yourself targeted by a response to someone else’s overly paranoid and unjustifiable insistence that most dogs are violent monsters just waiting for the moment to murder any nearby human (which they are not), that’s on you, not me.

Hyperbole much or just when you get called out?

7 Likes