Great deep dive into Japanese classic 'The Mysterians'

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/30/great-deep-dive-into-japanese-classic-the-mysterians.html

5 Likes

Before they were driven from Earth, though, they left us one great hit.

13 Likes

This thing looks incredible! The trailer alone hints at a bunch of old-school FX tricks and models, but the icing on the cake, for me, is it has the incomparable Takashi Shimura in a role.

7 Likes

That guy is in everything. From B and C monster movies, to eternal classics like Seven Samurai. He just loved working.

6 Likes

Instead of waging war against these underground types, maybe just ask some women if they’re down with having Mysterian babies? How many ladies wanted to marry Charles Manson?
Would there not be a willing group? Not idealistic in saving humanity, just some horny chicks looking to bump nasties with ‘aliens’ ?

6 Likes

If the Mysterians just had better game, all that destruction could have been avoided.

4 Likes

I remember that movie from when I was a kid. I’m not quite that old, but it took a while to reach Sweden.

1 Like

any clues where to find it to watch? Other than buying a DVD?
Looks like the full movie used to be on YouTube at some point but was removed.
Just checked my Library and no joy.

1 Like

Might have made a cool MST3k episode but if they did it I can’t find it, even after a solid 10 seconds of searching.

1 Like

Not to be confused with Captain Scarlet and his martians.

We had “so much” tv from Japan in the sixties, I at first thought this was one of them. It wasn’t just the style, some of the theme was different from North American tv.

3 Likes

Shhhhh…

5 Likes

I can’t help but to think that the Mysterians might have made a better first impression if they had tried something other than the giant death robot.

I can only imagine the first meeting with the Japanese government going “Wait, I thought you guys liked giant robots. We were hoping to impress you!”

3 Likes
  1. Be an attractive Mysterian.
  2. Don’t be an unattractive Mysterian.
1 Like

If it worked for the Martians in Pajama Party and their advanced scout got to take home Annette Funicello…and she wore a nighty. Maybe the aliens learned from the Mysterian’s heavy handed mistakes.

2 Likes

:slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2:08 Just for a split second, I thought they were launching a giant clown puppet.

1 Like

Maybe a simple makeover was all they needed.

“Do you guys have margaritas on your planet?”

3 Likes

And several centuries in the future, tastes would would go in the other direction

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.