Great drone footage of Nevada's unnatural natural wonder

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/25/great-drone-footage-of-nevada.html

5 Likes

Cool video, but mutable music.

Do we know what it wants? Has Spock tried to mind meld with it yet?

9 Likes

“There’s also an added level of danger as some of the pools of water top 200 degrees Fahrenheit.”

“Hot Dogs! Hot Dogs! Get your lovely Hot Dogs!”

4 Likes

As a mineralogy and geology nerd, this is really great stuff! I’ve read some articles recently saying that the formation of quartz, chalcedony, and related materials can go much more quickly than previously thought.

5 Likes

Any idea how come there are different terraces in these formations?

4 Likes

Minerals precipitate at the outer edges of the outflow first, forming a very small lip that grows vertically over time. As that terrace overflows, the process repeats below until all the water evaporates.

5 Likes

At 200F+? “Paaaain!

4 Likes

Since purchasing the ranch in 2016, Burning Man has been researching the land so they can guide visitors in an environmentally sound way. There’s also an added level of danger as some of the pools of water top 200 degrees Fahrenheit.

I wonder how many days before some uber-rich venture capitalist falls in because he thinks his money is a perpetual backstage pass?

2 Likes

Tired: Burning Man
Wired: Scalding Man

6 Likes

Without a doubt, my favorite episode.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.