Great white sharks viewed from upside down look like sinister grinning demons

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/13/great-white-sharks-viewed-from.html

4 Likes

@frauenfelder or @orenwolf your html is b0rk3d somewhere.

Also yay demon sharks.

ETA fixed now…

7 Likes

Their undersides being white is supposedly a thing to keep them undetected from below? but I’m not sure how that might work, since they do seem to like ambushing prey by coming up from the depths (where the blue-grey of their backs def camouflages them).

Also I’m sorry, but it makes me weirdly happy? to see someone else’s code go blert like mine does. Not schadenfreude, more like, I’m not the only one. What’s the German psych term for that?
Jerkischness?

Edit: Oh good, ya fixed it. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I don’t see it, what’r talking about?

1 Like

demonshark

My paint skills aren’t good enough to add a high collar, nor circlet of gold. Sorry.

9 Likes

“And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep”

And it still is, children, it still is.

2 Likes

Not a perfect match, but Genugtuung works quite nicely.

2 Likes

Yeah was going to say the same. Upside down shark looks like an upside down shark.

…then i saw @Mongrove’s post :flushed:

1 Like

I’m not sure why that’s worse than this:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/image/8114048-3x2-940x627.jpg

8 Likes

Dawww, just look at his fishy little “I boop with snoot?” face…

I bet he does something cute with his nictating membranes if you scritch him just behind the fins.

4 Likes

Came here to say I think great white sharks look like sinister grinning demons from any angle, I see I’m not needed…

5 Likes

I always thought Nigel Farage smiled like a shark, but now I see that I am insulting sharks by making that comparison.

7 Likes

It’s quite possible that this is pure mammalian chauvinism and I just can’t read(and am not primed to anthropomorphize) the emotional cues of fish; but sharks just seem to lack the element of malice and sadism and satisfaction in knowing what they are doing and have done.

They are quite possibly hungry; and subject matter experts, so you don’t want to be splashing pitifully in their vicinity if so; but the messy devouring would be impersonal. You don’t imagine that the shark would enjoy it in large part because it knew that you suffered; or that the feeding behavior is as much about opportunistic imposition of dominance over the weak as it is about meeting basic biological imperatives(though, it’s possible those things are basic biological imperatives for Nigel, don’t really want to think too hard about that).

1 Like

It isn’t worse – at least in the other pictures it is going for someone else.

2 Likes

Amoral bastards they may be, but they’re not slimy!

2 Likes

Waiting now for “Lookin’ Like Demons When Viewed Upside Down Shark-nedo” movie.

I may have misread what you asked for, but they are equally horrifying.
https://www.unilad.co.uk/fashion/denim-speedos-exist-just-in-time-for-your-summer-holiday/

2 Likes

Speedos and sharks may overlap in some way, but is your comment meant for a different thread?

Boop him on the snoot and you’ll definitely get the nictitating membranes going.

It bears repeating.

He’s always stuck me as more of a lamprey…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.