Greendale points to fictional dystopians to comment on social media apps [Recap: season 5, episode 8]

[Permalink]

It's not just the costumes the Fives wear, the security guard outfits are very similar to the Sandmen uniforms from Logan's Run.

Brian Posehn and Steve Agee (from the Sarah Silverman show) portrayed the app developers. Not Nelson Franklin.

It was nice to see that these two exist in other imaginary realms.

You forgot to mention Tim Heidecker and Eric Wareheim. Love those guys.

I once loved a Two... Matthew. He was my everything, But numbers change. Your secret's safe with me, NewBeanz.

The 4s' costumes, even more than the 5s', point to Logan's Run. Also, can there be any doubt about there Starburns' costume came from?

Only guessing here as I have neither read the books nor seen the movies, but there surely must be some references to Hunger Games in there, right?

Nope.

It's unabashedly Zed's outfit from Zardoz, down to the silly waist-length braided rattail.

Scifi References in that episode:

Logans Run
Zardoz
The Warriors
Buck Rogers (The dance with the glowing balls)
And possibly the Apple but I have to rewatch.

I agree with many of the references, but the biggest reference in the program is to Brave New World, the utopian/distopian novel by Aldous Huxley and his five castes, "Alpha", "Beta", "Gamma", "Delta", and "Epsilon", which corespond to the 5 - 1 levels of MeowMeowBeenz. Even the uniforms worn by each of these castes are reflected from the book.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.