Grifty conservative PACs raised millions pushing racist Obama conspiracies to elderly, low-income supporters, then kept almost all of it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/26/make-america-grift-again-2.html

5 Likes

This is tragic.

Not as tragic as it would be if the money actually went to help the Republican Party.

But still tragic.

14 Likes

From Il Douche’s own donation solicitation and e-mail collection sites right down to these, they’re nothing more than ways to generate sucker lists. As with non-political confidence artists, elderly people are always prime targets for these scumbags.

8 Likes

On the one hand, terrible people stealing money from other terrible people is not generally something that raises much concern. But, given how human beings work, I guarantee that 99% of these suckers who got grifted still believe everything that was told to them about Obama and his nefarious plans, and would swear on a stack of Walmart flyers that the Democrats are still trying to do these things and that’s why Trump is the hero we need.

Convincing someone they got conned is the hardest thing in the world to do.

12 Likes

They inevitably get angry and defensive, or (if they know deep down they were victimised) just hide it.

11 Likes

Their inspiration is the guy running the country headlong into the ground, and on national TV 24/7. They are simply practicing what is the prevailing method.

5 Likes

Just my opinion, but gullible, racist people giving money to a PAC that immediately…does absolutely nothing effective or productive is preferable to giving money to a PAC that actually got something done.

…so much for the generalisation that ALL conservatives and racists are rich.

2 Likes

This particular word has lost many of its original meanings and principles. Obviously, it’s more of a label for those opposed to whatever progressive and center-to-left-leaning folks want.

2 Likes

Now now, this particular scam should not be used to besmirch the GOP or conservatism in general. . . their actual ideals are already doing that plenty, thankyouverymuch.

I ask myself “what are they trying to conserve?” and the only answer I get is “their own power.”

5 Likes

Shocking!
They could have spent that money on Trump Straws.

7 Likes

I remember having a very distinct impression after seeing Steven Colbert’s ‘Americans for a Better Tomorrow, Tomorrow’ super PAC explained by his lawyer that you could pretty much do whatever you pleased with the money as long as it was moved along into the proper boxes. Did these grifters mis-package the money?

4 Likes

Is there anything actually wrong with taking money from a person who otherwise would use that money for a terribly destructive thing and wasting that money on whatever?

2 Likes

I’m not even convinced it’s tragic.

1 Like

I’m working on the assumption that grifting people is tragic. Many of them could afford it, no doubt. But some might have sacrificed things in order to make those donations. In principle, that’s pretty tragic.

Even if they did make the sacrifice because of racism or some other nastiness.

People shouldn’t be taken advantage of like that…

But I can see why you’d not feel it’s that tragic. :wink:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.