šŸ’‡ Grooming! Tips, tricks, do's, and do nots! (there is no try!)šŸø

This.
I hate myself because the jeans I likeā€¦ are $200-$400 a pair. But OMG they feel so good and last a long time. (I only ever buy them on sale, but even 50% makes them crazy expensive. JBrand or Citizens of Humanity if anyone cares. And like @chgoliz says, the sales, check out the sales! ALL summer clothes are currently on clearance right now!)

6 Likes

Iā€™ve been buying Lee. Iā€™m sure they are nowhere near as fine as the ones yā€™all are talking about, but they are still made with something closely resembling denim, as opposed to Leviā€™s or Old Navy, which both switched to some cheaper, thinner fabric some years ago.

2 Likes

If you still have dandruff and itchy scalp after trying everything from all-natural-woo cleansers to scalp treatments to baby shampoo to prescription shampoos to no shampoo and youā€™ve eliminated headwear from your wardrobe, itā€™s time to consider the possibility that your scalp is a prima donna and requires a ridiculously hypoallergenic shampoo like Free & Clear.

This worked for me. If it doesnā€™t work for youā€¦I dunno, I guess just reconcile yourself to the apparent fact that your scalp hates itself, hates you, and hates anything more chemically active than water.

6 Likes

Have you seen my hair?

13 Likes

I am long waisted, so all the low-rise ā€œfashionā€ cuts fit me perfectly and all the standard cuts like Lee or Levis do not. I am a-feared that the current ā€œhigh-waistā€ trend will eradicate my sources of pants that fitā€¦ then Iā€™ll be back to wearing the unisex jeans from HotTopic. (Seriously, for $20-$40 a pop theyā€™re pretty good, so long as you one want black).

Can we talk about old lady concerns like Retinol in here? Cuz I have recommends!

8 Likes

One recommendation from the world of textured hair: use conditioner but DONā€™T rinse it out (or only rinse it out a little).

3 Likes

Hot Tip: Skip shaving for a week or two. When you are ready to take it all back off, a Lemmy is the facial do most guaranteed to freak out your wife. Important - donā€™t leave her hanging for more than an hour before taking the rest of it off.

11 Likes

Well, except that time I was doing a #2 buzzcut and the guard popped off the clipper in midstroke. I had to go to a barber and get a mohawk to fix that one.

True story: Last time I went to a barber, I said ā€œIā€™m going to force my way into a corporate CEOā€™s office today and threaten him with legal action. Please give me a haircut that makes me look like the kind of wealthy lawyer who would cheerfully murder his own grandmother for a nickel of profit.ā€ Apparently she did a good job, as several people told me I was absolutely terrifying in that haircut and a $300 suit. :slight_smile:

36 Likes

Still laughing over here.

10 Likes

That is my standard haircut.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve got something between 2C/3A curls, but very fine white-girl hair. Too much product makes me super stringy.

I shower more or less daily, but only shampoo every 2-3 days. I tried going no-poo but my scalp was so itchy after a week I wanted to die. So rinse and condition every day, comb it wet with a wide-tooth comb and add my current product which is this, and then I try not to touch my hair for the next hour. Preferably Iā€™d let it air-dry all the way, but here in Seattle that means it doesnā€™t get totally dry until like 3pm. I really hate blow-drying. Itā€™s so boring.

4 Likes

Fine. FINE. Iā€™ll put on pants. I have a tendency toward being a hermit, and on many days that doesnā€™t involve being sufficiently dressed to greet anyone who doesnā€™t actually live with me.

I see your point, though. Depression and never-leaving-the-house can become a vicious circle.

7 Likes

Another reason to lose a little more weight and waistline so I can fit in my Utilikilts again.

4 Likes

Iā€™m too lazy these days.

Rarely see anyone else from my team as I work at a different site, so I shave about once a fortnight (which looks awful but I am not especially hirsute - to put it mildly). At least the ginger bits in the beard have mostly gone away, but largely because theyā€™ve been replaced by white ones.

I donā€™t like haircuts (or the cost thereof and the time spent there at least), so I donā€™t get my hair cut as frequently as I should either.

Basically, Iā€™m a slob.

8 Likes

That makes me happy too. :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s another 2 rules of good grooming that probably should have been obvious.

Do not let a 3-year-old apply your sunscreen. Unless you like having a 3-year-oldā€™s handprint scarred into your back for the next five years.

Do not let anyone under 8 years old cut your hair unless you plan to cut it again, very short, very shortly thereafter.

Edit: my daughter hates it when I mention those incidents.

14 Likes

Even when I was doing the telecommute thing all the time I would keep groomed. Didnā€™t get out of my jammies right away after the kid was going to the bus on his own. But by 9 am it was break time so I would have a shower and get dressed for the day.

Shaving, well MrsTobinL wonā€™t give me smooches if I donā€™t and buzz cuts are cheap and fast.

2 Likes

Represent sister. Iā€™ve got everything from 2A to 3B on my crazy head, and itā€™s baby fine to boot. Iā€™ve never been able to understand how hair can somehow be curly, limp, and frizzy all at the same time. sigh.

5 Likes

I am blessed to only need to shampoo every five or six days. The rest of the time itā€™s just water, and when I used shampoo itā€™s a tiny amount. Otherwise I dry out like old flaky leather.

5 Likes

Same over here, I last even longer 7/8 dayā€™s, no water in between. Otherwise flakes all over.
But I need to tell I have very long hair, straight, thick, not that many hears, but each hair is very thick. With very long I mean a way beyond the buttocks length.

The head hair is a good story. The rest of the body hair not that much. And with that Iā€™m talking about the story, not about the hair. :wink:

4 Likes

Same here, at least in the summer. In the winter I let it grow in a bit. I donā€™t have all that much left anyway. My receding hairline and my bald spot are perilously close to meeting.

Summer haircut day is glorious at our house. RatWoman lines me and the boys up outdoors and goes at us with the power clipper like a Marine Corps barber on speed. Even the dogs run and hide.

11 Likes