💇 Grooming! Tips, tricks, do's, and do nots! (there is no try!)🐸

Sword sharpening is pretty tedious, as is chain saw sharpening and mower blade sharpening. I use power tools these days for everything except razor blades and my good chisels, I don’t even sharpen my axes by hand any more. Too lazy! Benchtop belt/disk sander for the win!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Good prep is crucial to a good shave, cartridge or DE.

Right there with you on evening shaving (and evening showering), too. I apply a hot washcloth for about a minute before washing with a hypoallergenic face cleanser using an exfoliation pad. I use Vanicream’s non-lathering shaving cream because my skin with revolt if I shave with anything else.

1 Like

I have a feeling I’ll be watching these more than once. Thanks!

1 Like

Also, echoing what @Medievalist said, I rub a little of this on a couple of minutes before I shave. Most people don’t realize that human facial hair’s shear strength is about the same as copper wire (if you could find copper wire that thin). If you have a low power microscope, you can look at a blade when it’s fresh and after three or four uses. It looks very different. Softening up those hairs makes things go much more pleasantly.

If I have time, I also boil water in my electric kettle and pour some over a wash cloth (in one those blue bowls in the picture I posted earlier), then lay down with it on my face for a couple of minutes. The very hot water works better for me than warm tap water, but be careful not to scald yourself.

OMG I just entered the crazy wide world of “old lady” creams and holy crap there is a lot to wade through!
(Also, sorry Sephora, no 20something with a spackle-load of foundation is ever going to be able to sell me my old-lady creams, can you hire some older ladies please that’d be great thx!)

This shit is expensive, but I like it. Just a couple drops at night. Super easy.
http://www.sephora.com/retinol-fusion-pm-P381578?skuId=1391341&icid2=products%20grid:p381578

This is not so expensive, and I also like it, but I think they’re going out of business up here cuz this shit is hard to find all of a sudden! (I use this in the day the other at night)
https://www.retinoltreatment.com/products.cfm?Page=Products&Product=Retinol%20Facial%20Oil

I also like their mask its weirdly burny then cool and then your face is numb? LOL - don’t use it too often, its literally burning the top layer of skin off. :wink:
https://www.retinoltreatment.com/products.cfm?Page=Products&Product=Advanced%20Brightening%20Mask

Also their moisturizer was also good, but its scented, so not for me.
https://www.retinoltreatment.com/products.cfm?Page=Products&Product=Retinol%20Night%20Cream

This is a new Canadian company, and I have literally bought their entire line (because I cannot find the above stuff anymore) and so far its been great! I wish them many years of continued success so I don’t have to find yet another line, again! (and its all unscented!)

And if you really want to try a chemical peel at home… try this: http://www.strivectin.com/glycolic-peel.html
Its enough for probably 10 treatments, but be warned, its burny, you will be red the first time, I like it, but I find its a bit extreme for me, but its excellent in the winter when we’re all dry and dull.

There, those are my recos, AMA! ;D

5 Likes

Really? Are there guy versions? Just asking for a friend…

3 Likes

This is unisex! Just slather it on, let it burn as much as you can stand and wash it off! (follow the actual instruction tho) At the very least, its a really good exfoliator. :wink:

4 Likes

Too much pink on the package for you? :thinking::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

They could take the exact same product, put this picture of Nick Offerman’s face on it, and make a beeeellion dollars.

7 Likes

The first bit of Ben Goldacre’s book Bad Science is a good resource for de-bullshitifying cosmetic industry marketing, BTW.

TLDR version: cold cream does pretty much the same job as the hyper-expensive stuff, and most of the “wrinkle-reducing” claims are just the short-term effects of astringents.

4 Likes

I hope this is not a dumb question, but what do the peels and retinol do? Take off a thin layer of skin, like a chemical exfoliation? Smoothing things out? Plump up the low spots in wrinkles? Or does it have more to do with pigmentation?

I’m a woman, but I’ve never worn makeup and basically pay no attention to my face, as long as food isn’t smeared on it. Being firmly middle aged, I feel like maybe I ought to do something to keep my skin from… something-bad, but benign neglect has worked really well so far.

I did buy some of those Korean collagen sheet masks, because they looked like fun. Indeed, they are fun, but I couldn’t tell if they did anything at all to my skin.

9 Likes

The NYTs has a good break down:

(its really frakking hard to find sources for info on this shit that is NOT linked to cosmetics companies!)

Its vitamin A essentially and its prescribed to treat acne and other skin disorders, and then it was found to actually diminish wrinkles and dark spots and the cosmetics industry went nuts adding it to everything. So finding something that actually does anything is hit or miss. Kind of like how moisturizers with SPF are not sunscreen, not all creams with Retinol will actually do anything. Hence my recos! :slight_smile:

Its not so much taking a layer off so much as causing the skin cells to renew faster and slow down the breakdown of collagen, these together give the appearance of “younger” skin. So yes to to some very minor smoothing/plumping, but more it slows down aging. I’ve noticed a difference, and really since I’m the only one looking that hard thats all that really matters. :wink:

(I have a whitening Korean mask and its freaky… and it works, kinda scary actually.)

6 Likes

…which also made it difficult, if not impossible, to get a prescription plan to actually pay for the acne treatment.

2 Likes

Thanks! I guess now is the time to start that sort of thing. I tried the cucumber and green tea sheet masks, but I’m a little more skeptical of platinum and gold. And, I’m sort of freaked out by snake and snail. Marketing/art? Or ingredient? The label doesn’t actually help.

4 Likes

That is amazing. I am envious. My shaving setup consists of a can of Edge in the shower, and a Bic disposable razor that I get from Costco by the sack full. And half the time the can of Edge is empty and the razor is dull because my wife uses it too.

Last week I treated myself to a hair trim and a shave at a barbershop in Bruges. The whole deal: hot towels, freshly made shaving foam, straight razor. And they hand trimmed my beard with scissors. What a luxury!

4 Likes

All my jeans are by Gustin- with women’s denim, much of the special sauce is the fit. With men’s, it’s often a about construction and materials. My everyday pair is some 16.25oz delved he denim, and I have an 18oz for the winter and some 9’s for the summer.
They aren’t cheap but they’re way less than $200-400. Not entirely sure if they intend to do a women’s cut…
I’d rather have less good quality clothing than more disposable clothes.

2 Likes

When I think of all the years I wasted money on cartridge razors and overpriced can shaving cream that irritates the skin, I kick myself for not transitioning sooner.

But even if someone prefers cartridge razors, getting a good quality shave soap will greatly improve the experience of shaving. Can shave creams and gels have chemicals that shouldn’t go anywhere near human skin, let alone the face. Any sort of bowl will do, or even a mug. You just soak the brush in the mug with hot water for about thirty seconds to a minute, then empty the water and put a penny-sized to a nickle-sized dollop of soap into the mug and lather it up with the brush for about 30 seconds to a minute until it’s a froth you can spread on the face with the brush. That nickle-mass of soap will cover your face three or four times, so a 5 ounce tub like this will last a good four or five months even if you use it every other day. Sure a can of Edge costs a third the price, but it won’t last anywhere near as long.

When I first started, I probably spent about $80 for the razor, the blades, the soap and this badger hair Vulfix brush. Alternately, here’s a synthetic fiber brush with a similar knot of hairs to my Plisson (which I bought at a store called L’Occitanin in Paris, but I think they have a few stores in the US now). The synthetics are softer and dry faster, but take slightly longer to lather up the soap.

It seems expensive until realizing how much you spend on gel and cartridges over the same time frame that will last you, and the razor itself will last forever as long as you dry it between blade changes to keep it from rusting. The brush will last a few years. You’ll notice a few hairs come out of a badger brush the first several shaves, but there shouldn’t be very many and that Vulfix brush has a reputation for not losing very many hairs. The synthetic fibers are more uniform in length and thickness, so they tend not to lose any.

Just something to think about.

4 Likes

I plunked down 150USD for the Feather shaver after calculating that it would pay for itself within a few years’ time. I really hope I made the right decision. My skin today is telling me that I did.

4 Likes

That Atlas razor by Above the Tie in my picture on the right (the on the little stand) cost about the same. I say that with some embarrassment as I don’t like to spend a lot of money when good cheaper options are available. But the shave it gives me is so comfortable and smooth that I don’t regret it. Glad the Feather is working out. The Feather blades are my favorite, but I switched to the Astra blades because they’re half the price and nearly as good.

1 Like

My daughter gets a Korean subscription beauty box* and she swears by the snail products. I actually rather like snails and I find those a bit squicky too, honestly.

*(Mishibox, if anyone’s interested. I think it’s a really good value; most of the stuff she gets is full-size).

2 Likes