'Growing number' of GOP leaders say Trump must be removed from office now, and 25th Amendment must be invoked

It will get his fat, tiny hands off the nuclear codes and maybe stop him from trying to over throw democracy again prior to the 20th. He’s still a legitimate danger to our democracy. He and his supporters have shown us time and again who they are, and too many people refuse to take the threat they pose seriously. Even now, there are people in this thread doing that. He needs to be out of office right now. If we don’t, someone more competent is going to try this in the future and then we’ll really be fucked.

Apparently, abiding by the constitution when an unfit individual is in office is worse than that… :roll_eyes:

18 Likes

Who was it that was so fond of quoting the “you knew damn well I was a snake when you took me in” line?

Oh yeah!

12 Likes

He needs his new host. Biden is definitely Republican enough, and Lindsey Graham is absolutely shiftless enough that he will latch on as Biden’s across-the-aisle suckerfish. No transfer of power and he’ll starve.

4 Likes

I am not worried about nuclear codes because there is no way the military would view it as a lawful order and would refuse to follow it.

Absolutely he is a danger to democracy - and he will continue to be for awhile. He doesn’t need to be the actual president for him to stoke the fires of insurrection and violence. A server and a website is all he needs.

Given how slow the government usually works I am just saying realistically I don’t see it happening. The damage is already done, we should have evoked it months/years ago.

Would I like to see it happen? Absolutely.

Really? Are you sure about that? He’s the commander in chief for a few more days. And wouldn’t it depend on the situation? They did it with troops in the streets, because that’s easier to avoid I’d argue, with few instances of that happening (Little Rock comes to mind).

He always was, of course, but if people can’t see it now and work to remove this danger from office, then someone else WILL do it again.

That doesn’t mean he should not be removed to show consequences for such actions while in office.

But he’s not POTUS if he’s out.

They can work fast if they want to.

We shouldn’t let it get worse, because it can get worse.

14 Likes

Yes, I’d be much more worried about martial law or deploying troops or something. Especially if there are counter-protests.

As I understand it, Pence actually had to order the National Guard into DC.

Completely agree. I am just not holding my breath that will happen.

1 Like

Yes. This is really the bare minimum. Every hour that he remains in office undermines the credibility of every one of our institutions of power.

7 Likes

Does anyone actually know if he can be impeached after 25th amendment removal? Does he remain a civil officer or president in terms of the article 1 powers after removal by the 25th? The closest example we have is Blount in 1797 who was expelled from the Senate while his impeachment was pending from the House and was found not to be a civil officer because he was a Senator and it isn’t a good guide.

1 Like

I’m not sure how that response applies to my visual assertion that legal use of the 25th Amendment is NOT “a coup.”

A COUP IS WHAT 45’s FOLLOWERS TRIED TO PULL YESTERDAY WITH THEIR RIOTING.

14 Likes

Officers disobeying a direct order from the CiC? That’s essentially a military coup. Are the Joint Chiefs ready for that?

These be perilous times.

1 Like

A coup would be trying to seize power.

Refusing an unlawful order is just that. Let’s not exaggerate it. Nor let’s not assume the military is made up of mindless robots who would randomly launch a nuke at the whim of a president out of the blue. Especially against a state that could retaliate.

All I am saying is we can agree that Trump is dangerous without going to the absurd hyperbole.

I agree.

2 Likes

The two are completely separate within the Constitution, and do not reference each other in any way. Typically, that means that they are not mutually exclusive. Since the 25A is hypothetically temporary in the case of an Executive that is still alive, the purpose of impeachment still stands.

5 Likes

A mutiny rather than a coup. Unless the orders were unlawful, in which case disobedience becomes a legal and moral obligation. Nuremberg established that.

12 Likes

snek

I’m okay with that.

10 Likes

Like Twitter, Graham is desperate not to have to do this and is really begging Trump to behave himself so he doesn’t have to be put on record again.

10 Likes

Sure THIS time he learned his lesson. He got grounded from Twitter!

4 Likes

Fucking hell.

If something else happens there may be no options on the table because Trump will try to declare himself President-God-Emperor-for-life.

12 Likes

The 25th Amendment causes a shift of power to the VP, and removal of that power from the President, but by its wording does not actually cause the President to ever stop being the President.

4 Likes

As long as they don’t nuke the wrong country I guess everything is fine

3 Likes