'Growing number' of GOP leaders say Trump must be removed from office now, and 25th Amendment must be invoked

Might be a bit tricky to have his swearing-in ceremony in his cell, though…

3 Likes

Trump has done zero actual governing in the 4 years he was in office so far. All he has done is catastrophic damage. So, him being absent for the final 2 weeks would be a great improvement. 2 weeks less to do damage.

3 Likes

Except by the very definition you quoted, no it isn’t - invoking the 25th is neither illegal or extra-legal. It is specifically legal since it’s explicitly defined in the Constitution.

The 25th does not specifically define what is meant by “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office” because the intent is to leave the determination up to those who are in the position to execute the removal. It gives a broad ability to remove the President, including over his own objections, so long as the VP and 50%+ of the Cabinet consider him currently unable to fulfill his duties for any reason. If they determine that him not wanting to do the job means he is not fit for the job that is their decision to make.

It is not like invoking the 25th is an easy thing to do - it requires both his chosen Vice President and his chosen cabinet members all agreeing on his removal. Frankly, if over half his hand-picked advisors decide he needs to be stopped immediately, and that we can’t wait for an impeachment, maybe there’s a good reason?

8 Likes

Impeachment it is, then.

13 Likes

the one thing i wonder about invoking the 25th is whether pence would then pardon trump for his acts of sedition.

( i recognize both that a, nobody in power really wants to charge trump anyway. and that b, trump can always step down two hours early to affect the same. still… )

im still somewhat hoping that trump throws a tantrum over all the negative press and walks off the job. but for good measure i also wrote all my congress critters today to say: call this out for what it is: white supremacy, and get trump out of office now.

7 Likes

Any elected official who remains in the GOP, whose treasonous party leader likes Nazis and fomented a coup attempt, brands themselves as a traitor. Remaining in the GOP comforts and supports those waging war on the US.

If they don’t leave the GOP, haul them before the tribunals, along with all other coup enablers.

1 Like

How many Republicans in congress would support expelling Trump from the Republican Party?

Why is a mob attacking the capitol not enough, Lindsey?

Right?

9 Likes

He IS the party.

6 Likes

Until they do, and leave themselves, we brand them as the American Nazi Party, enemies of the the nation, waging war on the US. I refer you again to the Constitutional definition of treason.

2 Likes

I’m really curious who actually comprises this “growing number” of officials, given that I haven’t seen a single person in the Republican Party espouse this opinion with their name attached.

8 Likes
8 Likes

At this point though you have to make the argument a “coup” inside the gov’t is already underway here (in the sense that his “presidential authority” is being rapidly diminished). Time for him to resign.

13 Likes

I’ve been saying it for four years; no way in hell did those anal retentive control freaks in the Pentagon gave that orange fucker the real codes.

13 Likes

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

12 Likes

After all, how would he even know they were fake, unless he tried to use them… or sell them?

15 Likes

:exploding_head: Yeah, yeah he would. Fuckin’ A, yeah he would.

16 Likes

Which makes it even more likely in my mind that he never actually had them.

11 Likes

We should make a list of GOP leaders so we can cross them off the “Trump needs to go” board as they come out with statements like this:

8 Likes

“Here you are, Mr. President. Oops, it slipped off your finger again.”

10 Likes