Guinea pig ice cream is a thing

Even if savory ice cream wasn’t nasty, which it is, I have a strict policy of not eating any animals I’d keep as pets. That said, I fully recognize that there’s nothing objectively more special about the animals I won’t eat than the species I will, and I avoid the arrogant colonialism of looking down my nose at cultures where different animals are used as livestock. So while I won’t say it’s not right, just that it’s not right for me.

I too clicked on the story in hope it was about ice-cream loving guinea pigs.

3 Likes

Don’t tell Heston.

1 Like

5 Likes
4 Likes

Didn’t eat cuuy when I was in Ecuador (my pet guineas would never have forgiven me), but man, how is it even possible to have a “milder version of rabbit”? Rabbit’s got to be the mildest meat out there.

i guess because i’m accustomed to jackrabbit gotten in the wild which has a bit of a gamy taste. it’s possible that farm-raised rabbit is about the same as guinea pig.

While it’s always interesting to see the myth of Jesus be localized to a culture, I’m pretty sure guniea pigs are not kosher.

Well, first, you need a very short stool…

3 Likes

And lots and lots and lots of lactating guinea pigs.

Shrew Sorbet?

I once tried a guinea pig dish in a restaurant in Cuzco, Peru. I found it stringy and greasy and after eating about 1/4 of it had it wrapped up to go. Outside, I gave it to a lady begging on the street. She was very happy to receive the delicacy and I felt good about it - so win, win.

I will not be trying the ice cream.

I guess I’m used to gamy, because wild rabbit to me is the mammal equivalent of what Tilapia is to fish: Pretty bland, and tastes like however you season it.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.