Guinea pig ice cream is a thing

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/04/guinea-pig-ice-cream-is-a-thin.html

Wait, you mean it’s not ice cream for quinea pigs?

16 Likes

i’ve never been a fan of savory ice creams and i’ve tried a few. i don’t think i’d care much for this one either. having traveled in peru for a while in 2012 i’ve eaten guinea pig. it tasted like a somewhat milder version of rabbit. i doubt i would care much for the ice cream though.

13 Likes

Yeah - things like bacon ice cream never do it for me. I’m strictly a rum & raisin man.

5 Likes

How do you even milk a guinea pig, let alone yield enough milk to make ice cream with?

31 Likes

The ‘gourmet’ ice cream maker, Coolhaus, used to offer apple-bacon I/c sandwiches here. ((Incredibly delicious, but no longer available). The bacon set it apart, so it’s not a stretch for me to imagine that guinea pig meat would be as sweet as rabbit, and therefore would offer possibilities.

1 Like

Reading the headline, I wasn’t sure if this was ice cream for or from guinea pigs. “In Ecuador” instantly collapsed the ambiguity.

Having once had an ice cream version of Sillsallad (the Swedish salad of potatoes, beets and… pickled herring), I’d try it. Probably not going to become a favorite, but it’s always nice to try interesting new things. And frankly it’d have to be better than anything I’ve had at a “Cold Stone Creamery.”

3 Likes

Actually… that does sound pretty good

7 Likes

Hear! Hear!

1 Like

The American Dental Association would like to warn the public that consumption of this product has been scientifically linked to increased risk of dental cavies.

19 Likes

The headline made it sound like it could go either way. Why not both? Guinea Soylent! For that special pig in your life!

1 Like

And the pictured guinea pig in @xeni’s post is eating what looks like basil…self-seasoning?!

6 Likes

Why not both? But then maybe we run the risk of Mad Guinea Pig disease.

2 Likes

funny how the embedded advertising is eerily, appropriate…?

1 Like

Jesus and co. having gp as the entree:

4 Likes

How does it compare with gerbil gelato?

6 Likes

Truly an experimental painting… given the role of guinea pigs in science.

3 Likes

A creamy, milky base can be achieved by using ultra-liquefying industrial food processers, so the recipe doesn’t really need milk. Just the guinea pig

1 Like

It comes in both creamy and chunky.

/oohgross

Yet another way to enjoy Guinea pig on a stick.