Visit Cusco, Peru to see the "Guinea Pig Last Supper"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/11/visit-cusco-peru-to-see-the-guinea-pig-last-supper.html

1 Like

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 Likes

the emperors new groove disney family GIF

1 Like

I tried Cuy last year in Cusco and it was not a favorite of mine. I had not planned on trying it, but it was part of a multi-course tasting menu at a restaurant called Chicha (highly recommended) and it wasn’t to my taste. As I recall, it ate very greasy.

2 Likes

I’ve had Cuy a few times. It does not taste like chicken. It tastes just exactly like a cooked rodent, with the cute little hands praying for a reprieve. It’s one of those things you’re kind of expected to eat. Nasty little bastards better pray, Ill throw them off the mountain before I’d eat another one. It’s kind of like Masato the spit beer little old ladies make by chewing up corn and spitting it in bowls to ferment, it is to puke for. Worse than you’d imagine but you’re expected to drink it.

2 Likes

Oh, I was expecting a last supper scene made up of stuffed guinea pigs. Like Ferdinand I using the mummified bodies of his enemies as props.

3 Likes

“Take, eat, this is my body which is roasted for you … stop making those ‘wheep-wheep’ noises, Judas, I’m being serious here …”

6 Likes

And of course Jesus would not have had cuy, being thousands of miles from the nearest source and its lack of kosherocity.

Lima, Cuzco, and Aguas Calientes (the closest town to Machu Picchu) are amazing dining cities: even the grubbiest hole in the wall will present gorgeous and probably delicious food.

I never did get to eat cuy, because there were always more interesting things on the menu. Cuy is simply roasted, a very ceremonial dish, and expensive. OTOH, alpaca is freakin’ awesome: beefy, low cholesterol, just awesome. And hundreds of kinds of corn and potatoes, aji chilies, river and ocean fish… Hard to have a bad meal.

1 Like

When my wife and I visited Peru sans kids, my daughter, who had a pet guinea pig at the time, made me sign a post-it note promising not to eat guinea pig. I carried the note in my wallet and showed it to my Peruvian brother-in-law and a number of his friends, causing great hilarity.

I stuck to my word, though, so I have never tasted cuy. I did try baby alpaca in Cusco. It was pretty good as I recall.

1 Like

Had some in Quito shortly before traveling to Peru. My primary recollection is not of the flavor, but of the abundance of tiny bones and the difficulty of getting all the meat off them. It was not presented whole and was not particularly distinguished in appearance from other cuts of meat.

I guess they’re still going ahead with that controversial new airport in the region? For better or worse it may be much easier to get there in the future.

ETA: Also, good for the artist for recognizing the logistical implications.

2 Likes

Mixed Martial Arts Sport GIF by UFC

1 Like

Who Knows Yes GIF by Bounce

1 Like

Marie Antoinette Drama GIF by PBS

1 Like

There’s the unquestionably unappetizing scrawny guinea pig on the plate… but then there’s Judas holding what appears to be a knife – and the artist has painted him as being darker complected than the other characters. Du fu?

1 Like

do they at least serve it boneless?

my issue is less weird meats and more being forced to knaw on bones to get… so called morsels

1 Like

Had Cuy, liked it, but it was not that remarkable. The alpaca/llama (not sure which) had a few times and that was remarkable.

Yes, got from a street vendor some corn with a chimichurri sauce that was out of this world.

I really liked Cuzco, and we totally lucked out being there on our last day during some kind of spring festival, big long parade of bands and dancers parading around the square, and part of it seemed like the city has like one big waterfight that day. Like, people are throwing water balloons and buckets of water on people, even we got chased down a side street with buckets. Thrilling!

1 Like

“If you took the bones out, it wouldn’t be crunchy, would it?”

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.