Gun control defeated in Senate. #Orlando means nothing if you're paid by the NRA

After Australia banned them you could get an AR-15, at a black market price of $35,000. If you have that much saved why do you need to be a criminal?

5 Likes

I’ll just leave this here for posterity.

Because, dollars to donuts, Mr44 is going to be in, or be the instigator of, a mass shooting, or be one of those “responsible owners” whose kid shoots him through the back of the car seat, or who loses his weapon to an intruder, or has a sad one day and shoots himself, or any one of those many many scenarios which would have an utterly different outcome with different tools to hand.

And on that day the worlds tiniest violin will play.

1 Like

I think it’s only fair when it’s an accepted pastime to kill people abroad to allow US-Americans to continue shooting innocent people in their own country.

5 Likes

I signed up because when I read a lot of the comments I heard John Oliver in my head. Looks like you beat me.

2 Likes

Welcome to the BBS. Hope you stick around. We’re more than just firearms regulation bickering.

4 Likes

yeah. we’re also great in the biker/driver shitstorm wars.

6 Likes

Seriously though, I do hope @Jared_Moore sticks around. The more eyes and voices, the better.

1 Like

Here’s Senator Chris Murphy of Connecticut talking to NPR’s Ailsa Chang about the failed legislation: “I haven’t heard these due process concerns when it comes to the right of Americans to travel. So, we didn’t hear any of these concerns about due process when the No-Fly List was working effectively for years and years.”

That’s quite the whopper, unquestioned in that broadcast.

NPR: Senate Rejects 4 Gun Proposals Inspired By Orlando Attack

2 Likes

I think folks are missing an important point here. Most Republican Congress people would vote this way whether the NRA existed or not. It’s not about payola. They believe that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to own high-capacity semiautomatic rifles. The NRA backs them because of this. I’m sure a few Congressional heads were turned by NRA money, but for the most part they’re voting the way they would have anyway.

Most people on this site didn’t grow up in the gun culture, and don’t understand that there is a religious devotion to firearm ownership in this country. It is independent of cynical backroom cigar-smoking lobbyists. What you’re ultimately up against is millions and millions of active voters that believe firearm ownership is sacred. Payola can’t change that.

3 Likes

You mean a state driver’s license? Yes. Private sellers check your driver’s license (and pistol permit, if applicable), write up the bill of sale with your driver’s license number on it, and keep a copy for their records. Since it’s a felony to make an interstate gun sale without going through an FFL, and since it’s really damn easy to check a driver’s license, private sellers are pretty careful about doing this.

1 Like

What point is there in posting if all you can come up with is some regurgitated Justin Moore lyrics?

3 Likes

And yet, he is statistically very unlikely to ever fall into any of those categories.

1 Like

Ha ha ha you think the political structure is filled with sincerity.

Trump voter intelligence on full display in these posts.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand wanting to do something about guns, but this is the worst possible way to go about it.

Never support a law you wouldn’t feel comfortable letting President Trump apply…

I, for one, have never understood why the left and right aren’t swapped on gun control, since it’s a democratization of power issue. We don’t trust a handful of banks with all the money, a handful of corporations with all the media, a handful of oligarchs with all the power- Why would we trust them with all the guns? I mean, with the kind of police abuse on Occupy and BLM protesters, it amazes me that liberals aren’t clamoring for everybody to be showing up armed.

3 Likes

I hadn’t been aware of this until recently. Then I was appalled when I understood it all. Easy enough to blame the NRA cult for inaction. It’s an easy target. As Gideon points out, the wheel spinning is just as much a result of phony posturing by Democrats…who know full well that anythng they propose will not clear congress. They get to look “virtuous” by voting en masse for horrible legislation while making the other side take the accustomed role of cartoon villains.

PT Barnum would approve. The rest of us had better call it out when we see it.

1 Like

Well, that is arguably the purpose of the 2A…

I have this theory about guns being the weapon of choice for the privileged, while explosives are the tool of those less so…

I’m all for preventing suspected terrorists from buying guns, but the current implementation of the watch list is not a sound basis for determining who is a suspected terrorist. If you think a terrorist watch list would be a well controlled list of people with solid evidence demonstrating links to terrorist agendas, you’d be wrong, despite the media portrayal to the contrary. It’s simply a list that people can be added to for any or no reason at all, with no notification or means to contest it. That has no place in gun control and any measure using it should be rightfully voted down by both sides of aisle.

If democrats want to use such a list to control guns, they first need to control the list to ensure it meets constitutional demands and allow those added to it a fair process to contest it. Reform that first, then we can talk about gun control. It’s fun watching uninformed heads explode over the issue. They’d complain about it years later when NRA members and rednecks still have guns, but minorities, activists, and protestors find themselves unfairly targeted by the list. Respect your rights or you will lose them!

2 Likes

I’ll touch that rail. In fact, it’s what I’ve been advocating for quite some time.

Mandatory National Guard service for a couple years after high school, with a refresher course every few years until no longer fit. Everyone is issued a service weapon and sidearm which they are responsible for in perpetuity.

Couple this with a 95% reduction in our standing military, and shift to a real volunteer military- Not volunteer as in “the Army were the only ones hiring”, but as in “allied nation has requested military aid to help stop ethnic cleansing- Anyone who wants to help, the plane leaves at 9am.”

Because that was the point of the 2A- to be in lieu of a standing military, because power like that should not be consolidated in the hands of an oligarchy, but distributed equally among free citizens who are actually invested in their country.

What we have now is a fetishization of guns by people who crave the power they give- That’s not something that can be fixed by taking the guns away. You fix that by making people less desperate and powerless, by giving them ties to the community, and by associating military service with mundane civic responsibility, rather than power fantasy hero worship.

Systematic problems require systematic solutions.

8 Likes

The left doesn’t universally trust “people with guns” (the police need less usage as well) and more guns isn’t going to make less dumb people, they kill all of us indiscriminately.

3 Likes