Gun pulled on "cart narc" complaining about abandoned shopping cart

Originally published at: Gun pulled on "cart narc" complaining about abandoned shopping cart | Boing Boing

8 Likes

If I was going to surrender my life calling out an injustice, I’m not sure shopping cart abandonment is the one I’d choose.

62 Likes

What exactly did he think was going to happen going around harassing people in Texas?

I dislike leaving extra work for the cart collectors as much as the next person, but not enough to risk my life for YouTube clickbait.

32 Likes

In a time where people get murderously flipped out by a tiny slip of fabric on your face, it may not be the right time to piss people off in general.

33 Likes

Nor am I, especially understanding that (as in this case) there are likely many more strata of arsehole behviour left to be uncovered in someone who can’t be bothered to return a shopping cart to its proper place.

17 Likes

Maybe leaving your cart after using it will help justify the job of the poor sap or sapette who has to chase carts for the store?I always put my used cart into the cart corral, but…

6 Likes

I saw the Coors Light can and thought “if this guy doesn’t kill with his pistol he’s gonna while drunk driving.” Poor little puppy.

29 Likes

In fairness, that’s barely beer. /s

33 Likes

Just wait until they start yelling at you not to put your cart away, because, hoax.

Also, this is from a car cam, but it happens all the time:

ETA:

Nope. They still have to gather them from the corrals. See above video. Leaving them out is irresponsible.

11 Likes
6 Likes

That is the worst idea for a prank that I’ve maybe ever heard of. Approaching someone not in on the prank with butcher knives?!? Yikes.

8 Likes

I take a more passive aggressive approach, picking up stray carts on my way to the store while muttering to myself about how completely fucking useless able-bodied people who can’t be arsed to put a cart away are.
I am not going to risk life, limb, or my precious time over something like this, but what the hell? Can’t they park next to the cart stand or something if pushing an empty cart is such an imposition?

13 Likes

The Death for Subs chapter will rival the Gender Reveal Wildfires for facepalm in the history books.

7 Likes

I’ve got to admit to doing this once in a blue moon. At the beginning of the pandemic, most of the local retailers removed a number of cart corrals for some inexplicable reason. I’m usually traveling alone with a 3 year old and sometimes I’m a good 50+ yards from one of them. I’m not about to leave him strapped into a car in the middle of winter to walk the cart even further away from the entrance (or, conversely carry him and his muddy boots back from the corral and get everyone filthy). When I had to, I placed it on a traffic island like this guy did in a position where it couldn’t roll. I get why abandoning it in a driving area is problematic as it blocks parking spots and can damage someone’s vehicle if it starts to roll, but my guilt over having to do this .01% of the time is extremely low. Most of the time I try to park as close to a corral as possible, but I’m always weighing location against how realistic it is to navigate a parking lot with a toddler.

Anyway, following and harassing people for this and then trying to put a marker on their vehicle is just asking for trouble. Seems like this year has brought us plenty of that.

14 Likes

Obligatory

11 Likes

Did you really think the police were going to side without anyone but their wealthy masters?

4 Likes

Think of it as creating jobs. I avoid self checkouts for this very reason.

2 Likes

That’s like thinking of littering as creating jobs for roadside clean up crews. There is plenty of more productive work that needs to be done. We don’t need to be willfully inconsiderate to make more work.

33 Likes

Why not just push in down thru vacant lots and throw it in a creek? Think of the jobs created when the grocery store has to buy more carts!

15 Likes

I think this “cart narc” guy is a HUGE tool - and just doing it for attention (obviously). Yes, some people don’t return carts and put them in an awkward place - but most don’t. And “cart collector” is one of many jobs at a grocery store that keeps people working. When I worked for Trader Joe’s it was one of my many tasks. I don’t understand what this guy thinks he is achieving. And doing this in Texas? He’s just asking for it.

6 Likes